Respected Contributor

Re: No Jail Time for Varsity Blues Parents?

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Rule of thumb celebrities should receive no more and no less than what the average Joe gets. But we all know that doesn’t happen. Like it or not celebrities tend to get lucky breaks. This should of shed a light onto the unfair way some get into the schools and start an over haul. That should have been the silver lining but I am not holding my breath. 

Except the average Joe could never have participated in this scheme, so there's probably no precedent. That said, I don't know why this case pushes buttons with so many people who are calling for years long sentences. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would make them set up scholarships for kids that really studied to get into school.

I would like to see them jet some jail but I highly doubt it.

Honored Contributor

oh the usual bogus rich peopke sentence....community service...home lock down...a fine....bla bla bla. They always get off the hook...probably buy out the judge....

Honored Contributor

From the beginning I thought Felicity (and those who were smart and pled guilty first) would see a little jail time, maybe 4 months. But I have sort of lost all faith recently that there is any real fairness to our justice system.  I guess I should assume no one will see any jail time, and if I'm wrong, then good.

Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Rule of thumb celebrities should receive no more and no less than what the average Joe gets. But we all know that doesn’t happen. Like it or not celebrities tend to get lucky breaks. This should of shed a light onto the unfair way some get into the schools and start an over haul. That should have been the silver lining but I am not holding my breath. 

Except the average Joe could never have participated in this scheme, so there's probably no precedent. That said, I don't know why this case pushes buttons with so many people who are calling for years long sentences. 

Except that Felicity's crime involved $15,000 which I suspect many average people could get together to procure a prime admission spot for their child.  A lot less than the Giannulli's crime of $500,000.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Except that Felicity's crime involved $15,000 which I suspect many average people could get together to procure a prime admission spot for their child.  A lot less than the Giannulli's crime of $500,000.

Prime admissions come that cheap? Wow. Wonder why Mossimo and Lori had to pay so much for theirs....

Esteemed Contributor

Because they're idiots.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think they should get the same sentence or fine as anyone else would.  It should be fair whether you are rich or poor if you commit a crime.  I don't understand the "let's send a message" opinion because they are wealthy, because in that case, you are not being fair across the board. 

Whatever the average Joe would get, they should get the same.  No better and no worse.

If the crime is tax evasion, wire fraud, etc..., whatever the crime is, the sentence should be consistent.  Their crime (if guilty) is just on a larger dollar value scale, but I'm sure the average Joe could do the same type of crime.   Whether it's a payoff of $1M or $1K, a crime is a crime. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Because they're idiots

you have really made it if you can afford the highest bribe....extra points 

Esteemed Contributor

I think we all know that if none of the parents receive a jail sentence there will be general (but certainly not universal) outrage that these people are above the law and that wealthy people will not be held accountable.  "Wealthy people exploit their privileged status to their benefit and to the detriment of others." 

Notice I didn't say famous or actresses.