Honored Contributor

Newly Released Pulitzer Prizes!

In looking over the lucky recipients, these were a few standouts to me:

PULITZER PRIZE FOR COMMENTARY:    Peggy Noonan   columnist, Wall Street Journal

Even when I don't agree with her, Peggy Noonan's writing is a thing of beauty.  She was the one who coined the famous "thousand points of light",  among many other things.

PULITZER PRIZE FOR FICTION:   "The Underground Railroad"   by Colson Whitehead

We have lived near several "stations"  (old houses equipped to hide slaves heading north to freedom) of the Underground Railroad, and it has always fascinated me and held a special place in my heart.  This is a work of fiction, not a factual accounting, but I still want to read it.

PULITZER PRIZE FOR EDITORIAL WRITING:  Art Cullen of "The Storm Lake Times",

Storm Lake, Iowa

Mr. Cullen won it for "successfully (challenging) powerful corporate agricultural interests in Iowa." in his editorials     Sounds interesting.  It's always good to know that local papers are vigorously pursuing their investigative duties.    

Trusted Contributor

Re: Newly Released Pulitzer Prizes!

Some other notable winners were Hilton Als for critcism, Lynn Nottage for drama, Tyehimba Jess for poetry, and other newspaper awards especially one for the Washington Post for examining the charitable contributions of Trump.  

What I find interesting is that the prizes for fiction and poetry sometimes parallel those for the National Book Awards.  I am looking forward to many days of reading provocative and elegant writing.

Honored Contributor

There is a very interesting article in today's Los Angeles Times about Art Cullen.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

congratulations to all of the winners!

my particular favorite was david farenthhold from the washington post. i read his reports in the newspaper and online and follow him on facebook. an excellent journalist.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

There is a very interesting article in today's Los Angeles Times about Art Cullen.

@suzyQ3

thanks so much for mentioning that article! if you had not mentioned it i might have missed it. excellent.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein