Honored Contributor

Re: New(ish) Policies at Kohls

I've never much used the Kohl's Kash - just a gimmick to get you right back into the store to buy again when you most likely don't need to. I tend not look for or buy name branded merchandise there though I sometimes do, and I don't routinely bargain shop there.  I just buy their clothing, which suits my lifestyle, and maybe towels and sheets.

I have bought kitchen/household items there, some of which they may no longer sell at discount. I would check their price and BBB's price with the 20% coupon, and when Kohl's had a sale or coupons could be used they were the same as BBB's price. 

But I buy on my schedule, when and what I need at the time, so the whole "you need to come back & buy something more in the next 2 weeks to use this discount" just annoys me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

That policy has been in place for quite some time. Most stores have that policy on brand names and they are excluded on coupon sales - 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

hgsuddle wrote: for an item NOW.

As for Kohls cash, it is just a gimmick to get you back in the store.  I will say though I did get my new kitchen glasses for free last month because of the Cash.  Didn't pay a penny. Once they stop allowing us to use the Cash any time at all regardless of dates, I will surely be done with Kohls.

Kohl's no longer allows you to use expired Kohl's Cash.

Respected Contributor

@hgsuddle wrote:

I do understand that it is the vendor that is forcing the retailer to set the exclusions policies.  Kohls never did that before.  No offense to Kohls, but they are not a high quality department store. Higher than Walmart, yes, but not Macy's.  

I find it interesting that for those of us who have computers are able to find such "excluded" items on the manufacturer's website for a tremendous discount, but no where else.  Sure pays to search the web these days - unless one has a need for an item NOW.

As for Kohls cash, it is just a gimmick to get you back in the store.  I will say though I did get my new kitchen glasses for free last month because of the Cash.  Didn't pay a penny. Once they stop allowing us to use the Cash any time at all regardless of dates, I will surely be done with Kohls.

@hgsuddle

Do you mean as in expired Kohl's Cash?  My store will not let me use expired Kohl's Cash coupons.  The manager told me it's up to the individual store's manager.

Respected Contributor

I can't help but think the new policies at Kohl's are going to hurt their business.  I don't buy Kohl's brands, so guess I won't be going there much.

Super Contributor

I must disagree with a previous statement that Kohl's does not sell 'high end brands'. Kohl's sells Chaps brand, and so does Carson's in our area; a higher end department store. I have seen the exact same Chaps clothing at both stores.

Also, Kohl's printed advertising does state whether or not discounts apply, right by the advertised items.

Trusted Contributor

@WSfan wrote:

I must disagree with a previous statement that Kohl's does not sell 'high end brands'. Kohl's sells Chaps brand, and so does Carson's in our area; a higher end department store. I have seen the exact same Chaps clothing at both stores.

Also, Kohl's printed advertising does state whether or not discounts apply, right by the advertised items.

You can also look up the item that you're interested in on their website. If you can't use discounts, it's clearly indicated there also.

Honored Contributor

@hgsuddle wrote:

I do understand that it is the vendor that is forcing the retailer to set the exclusions policies.  Kohls never did that before.  No offense to Kohls, but they are not a high quality department store. Higher than Walmart, yes, but not Macy's.  

I find it interesting that for those of us who have computers are able to find such "excluded" items on the manufacturer's website for a tremendous discount, but no where else.  Sure pays to search the web these days - unless one has a need for an item NOW.

Here in Indiana, you can't use any coupons, now, at Kohls past the exp date.  This has been in effect for 18 months to 24 months. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

I used to shop at Kohls a lot.  I don't buy much there any longer.  I, too, am disappointed in all of the exclusions.  I also find the Vera line has gone downhill and I rarely find anything lately I like in there.  Now that they don't give you a merchandise credit if you return something you bought when you received Kohls cash, I don't even use the Kohls cash any longer. 

@winamac1

i make sure that when i use my kohls cash it is used on something i know that i would not return. towels, socks, undies, kitchen items, tee shirts, etc....

No it's not that.  It's that if I return an item that I had received Kohls cash for and used Kohls cash for an item that I really didn't need, they deduct the amount of the Kohls cash from my original purchase.

Oftentimes I'd use the Kohls cash just to use it, now I don't as I don't want money deducted from my original purchase if I return it.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Valued Contributor

the exclusions of Nike and Levi has been in place for some time now and it clearly states this on the coupon.  This was a Nike and Levi exclusion - not a Kohl's decision as my neighbor is a regional manager for Kohls.   Ths is policy at most dept. stores now.  They are discounted enough, but people always want more.  Wait for a sale and you can use Kohls cash to pay for it.