Trusted Contributor

For goodness sake, stay home.

Are we such a selfish country that we cannot self sacrifice for the good of the greater whole?

Our already sick and compromised and elderly community are dependent upon us to help them survive this PANDEMIC.

Trusted Contributor

The Governor encouraged people to go outside. People just need to be a bit smart. And if people aren't sneezing or coughing that really lowers the risk. Just walking past someone isn't really a danger.

Super Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

Are we such a selfish country that we cannot self sacrifice for the good of the greater whole?

Our already sick and compromised and elderly community are dependent upon us to help them survive this PANDEMIC.

Lots of people outside walking in my neighbood, elsewhere.  Including lots of seniors I noticed today while on my 4 mile walk.  As well as kids outside playing.  All of which has been most encouraged.  For both physical and mental well being.  Where do you live that is telling citizens to not go outside?  If so, please provide your source.

Respected Contributor

@BeautyLver wrote:

Lots of people outside walking in my neighbood, elsewhere.  Including lots of seniors I noticed today while on my 4 mile walk.  As well as kids outside playing.  All of which has been most encouraged.  For both physical and mental well being.  Where do you live that is telling citizens to not go outside?  If so, please provide your source.

@BeautyLver I don't think anyone believes you can't be outside.  I'm not sure what your neighborhood looks like.  If you can walk around and still maintain the recommended distance from others, that doesn't seem to be the same as what this thread was addressing. 

When someone says stay home, it likely means stay away from others, crowds, and situations where you can't keep the recommended distance from people and therefore wouldn't be able to prevent spread of Covid. NYC is particularly dense, with living quarters very close. Stay home for them may mean stay inside.  

We are staying home.  We can walk around our ten acres and not come in close contact with anyone else.  If we lived in a more populated area, we'd have to be more careful and more strategic about going out and about, that is IF we truly care about reducing the number of folks exposed.

Super Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@BeautyLver wrote:

@BeautyLver I don't think anyone believes you can't be outside.  I'm not sure what your neighborhood looks like.  If you can walk around and still maintain the recommended distance from others, that doesn't seem to be the same as what this thread was addressing. 

When someone says stay home, it likely means stay away from others, crowds, and situations where you can't keep the recommended distance from people and therefore wouldn't be able to prevent spread of Covid. NYC is particularly dense, with living quarters very close. Stay home for them may mean stay inside.  

We are staying home.  We can walk around our ten acres and not come in close contact with anyone else.  If we lived in a more populated area, we'd have to be more careful and more strategic about going out and about, that is IF we truly care about reducing the number of folks exposed.

I follow the advice,  recommendations, protocol (s) of my local govt, health authority experts.  Not strangers on the internet.  You do you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

With regard to NYC, this is alarming to me and here's why: hospitals are running short of precious supplies that healthcare professionals NEED to keep themselves safe while they attend to Covid positive patients. The whole point of social distancing is not so you can't enjoy yourselves.  It's to hold the line on new infections in order to NOT swamp our hospitals with new cases that can't be accomodated with the supplies we now have.  

There are not enough beds, not enough N95 masks, not enough gloves, not enough sanitizer.  And most importantly, not enough respirators AND not enough TESTS for healthcare personel so they can be tested to be sure they haven't been exposed.

This has been on the news for days.  How frustrating that there are still folks who aren't taking this seriously.

Exactly how many are doing without right now.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

Yes, Kalli, that is exactly true.

Thanks for having to explain the obvious.  My patience had worn out and your explanation is spot on.

Honored Contributor

I was impressed with the governors of Ohio and Florida when I heard them speak today. They have a tough job. Wish my governor would do more.

Valued Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I was impressed with the governors of Ohio and Florida when I heard them speak today. They have a tough job. Wish my governor would do more.

@RetRN  I also wish mine (TN) would do more. I don't care for him at all. Of course this is my opinion. It just seems like he isn't a "leader" so to speak. I love NY's governor, he is seeming to take things seriously and do what's needed. Best scenario, everything he puts in place (extra hospitals, etc) aren't needed afterall, BUT at least they were there IF they would've been needed vs the other way around.

~ Hope in TN ~