Honored Contributor

Re: New UPS Delivery Procedures

you are welcome @PINKdogWOOD.

i hope it continues to show up!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@LogoFan wrote:

I live in Chicago Illinois and have recently learned of new UPS handling of home delivery.

I spoke to a driver today who delivered a QVC package.  Asked him about some notices I have seen regarding dropoff of packages at an access point which is a business a few blocks from where I live.

He basically told me that it makes more sense to dropoff my package at this local business if I do not accept delivery on first attempt.  He was not clear on whether or not this applies to all deliveries because he said something about "potential" drop off on the package I just received.  He was just not clear.

I told him that my health is not good, and one attempt would not be sufficient if I happen to be at a doctor visit on the day he attempts to deliver.  If this was a heavy package, some of which I have had since I got wind of this new process, I would not be able to go to that business and carry my package home.

Frankly, I have many stressful health issues right now and am just not in the mood to call UPS just yet and get aggravated.  There has been no mention on the news anywhere about this new policy.  Besides all of this, we a paying for delivery which should at least require the 3 attempts always made in the past for a lot of reasons, before a dropoff anywhere in the delivery area.

Just curious if anyone else has heard of this new "so far not advertised" policy.

@LogoFan  Sometimes a driver will take packages to an access point, here it is a UPS store, and sometimes they won't.  A week ago, the most regular driver told me he saw a package of mine that was being returned.  I called both companies, and my packages had been returned without any notices being left here, so I had no idea what had happened.

I even signed up for My Choice recently, checking the "skip home delivery" box, packages to automatically be taken to the store, but this is not working, as driver's keep showing up.  UPS is one messed up company around here.  Perishables won't be dropped off at an access point, yet UPs drove around with my perishables for three days after they had been en route for two, didn't bother them then that the food may have been ruined, yet they won't take a bottle of supplements to the store, no explanation.

@mousiegirl

What you described around here is FEDEX---First they are a bunch of liars....they will leave a notice and say its the 3rd and finally delivery yet the tracking on their website shows one attempt!  Another time my brother sent a DVD of family photos and waived the signature required since it had no value to anyone but family......and that Fed Ex driver insisted on a signature and wouldnt leave it....my brother had to call Fed Ex and raise heck!!!  Another time a package was returned to sender and no notices had been left, no email etc when I called to complain they found out the driver admitted he ran out of notices...Woman Frustrated 

@Spurt  Sounds like UPS.  I realize there can be problems with all delivery services.  When Isaid to a UPS driver that I will not shop where UPS is used any longer, he laughed and said "we are the only one," to which I replied with several other services. They get away with their bad behavior because this is the attitude, this and they carge too much.

I have requested from several companies that they not use UPs for my items, so they switched me to FedEx.  More and more companies are using Ontrac, and I have had one problem with them, but at least they leave packages and once I am notified the package has been mailed, I receive it the next day.

I have also had numerous problems with UPS.

Once tracking showed that my package had been delivered, but it had not been.  They gave me a really hard time, insisting that it must have been stolen when I wasn't home - even though I had been home all day.  Several days later, a neighbor returned from vacation and found it on his porch.  I didn't know these neighbors - They lived on a different street.  Their house number was different too.  But somehow it was delivered there.  Even in light of that news, UPS insisted the driver had left it at my house.

I've also had lots of problems with the "need signature" slips that they leave.  Once I signed a first notice, left for work, and when I came home, there was another one in its place saying "3rd Atttempt - Final Notice".  I have signed over and over, only to have packages returned to sender because - according to UPS - I didn't sign.  It got to the point where I simply picked up my packages at a UPS facility.  It was time-consuming and very inconvenient, but I had no time or energy for the stress.

And I had a friend who was ill, and received a gift of gourmet cheeses and other things. She had no idea there was a package outside, and didn't leave her house for 2 days.  The result was a large box of expensive cheese having to be thrown away.  Despite the many, "Perishable!", "Refrigerate Immediately" stickers all over it, the driver couldn't be bothered to ring the bell.  I called UPS on her behalf, and was told that the drivers don't have to ring the bell unless a signature is required.  That's fine, I guess, but it would have taken less than a second for the driver to ring the bell before running off to do his next delivery.  This was in the middle of summer, btw.  

UPS has been problematic in several places I have lived, so it's not just one area.  And I've never had difficulty with USPS, FedEx, or any of the others.  I would never choose UPS if I had a choice

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LogoFan       I also reside in Chicago. In my area UPS has been using Access for a while. My problem is that the locations they use are usually the "fly by night" ones – cell phone companies of the moment. They pop up and after six months or so, they go out of business and another one appears. The last order I placed with QVC was two bottles of a Fuller Brush product that I was purchasing as a surprise for a neighbor; I was charged $5.50 for S&H. Since this wasn't something for me, I ordered and then forgot about it until about two and a half weeks later when it dawned on me that I should have received the order by then. I went into my Order Status and saw it had been delivered once and was then taken to an Access location where it remained for a week and was then on its way back to QVC. When I called QVC to ask why an item that I had paid to be shipped to me was left at another location after only one attempt to deliver, I was told this is at the discretion of UPS. Not only did I pay for delivery, I was not refunded the full amount that I was charged because of course someone had to pay to return it to QVC. I am signed up for UPS Choice. I received no notice on the door nor an email.

Three weeks ago a package from JCPenney was left at an Access location after one attempt to deliver. This time I did get both a notice and an email. Since I did not pay for delivery of this multi-item package, I decided to pick it up. Two days later when I stopped they told me they hadn't received my package yet. The unkempt person behind the counter [who identified himself as the owner of the business] kept asking for my phone. I asked him why he wanted it and he said he wanted to put something on it. He said it wasn't anything bad. I had enough sense not to give it to him even when he handed his out to me and said I could hold his until he finished with mine. I went back a second time a few days later. The store was supposed to close at 7P. It was 6:15P; no one was there. Lights off. "Closed" sign visible.

I came home. Went into my UPS account and opted to pay the $5 for the package to be redelivered. It was. The next day. I wish I had done this in the first place because as stated above, this large box contained multiple items including two pairs of size 13 shoes for my DS. I place orders at JCP often, always making sure that I spend at least $99 to quality for free shipping. I didn’t and won’t mind paying $5 for one of their packages to be redelivered but if I have already paid for shipping, then I expect the company from which I ordered to ensure that my package is delivered and re-delivered, if necessary.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Trusted Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

I am signed up with UPS online to receive email notices of pending deliveries and when pkg is delivered, so I can constantly track a package.  The only time I sign for a delivery item is wine, electronics, or any other item that "requires" a signature.  About a year ago I had a new driver who made me sign for every delivery, when I told him pkgs were supposed to be left, he said they made a change and I had to make that request again; think I did it online, but I don't have the "sign all pkgs" problem any more. I don't have any hassles other than the typical complaints.  Driver knocks on door when pkg left most times and will bring a heavy pkg inside if I ask.  I am in the DC suburbs of MD.  For any online orders, I track all pkgs, USPS, FedEx, UPS, Amazon, so that I know when they are to be delivered.

Scarletdove, I also am signed up for the advance notice of delivery.  However, it arrives late in the day before the delivery date.  If I now have only one delivery attempt, and I happen to have a doctor appointment on that day, I have to bother a neighbor to accept if they are available.  I also am not requested to sign for my deliveries until now.

I believe that UPS should give advance warning of these changes via the local news, or something else; not just suddenly spring it on customers with no warning.  It feels dishonest to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I live in a house in a typical suburban subdivision.  UPS just leaves packages; there are no notices.  Heck I can't remember the last time they even rang the doorbell.  I peek outside late in the afternoon and discover packages. 

@Kachina624

My UPS driver just leaves packages too....if it's a day Im working from home he does knock on the door twice (he doesnt even wait to see if I answer or not) and drops off the packages by the time I check the peep hole and open the door he's long gone............

@Spurt

They aren't supposed to wait.  Drop, knock/ring and go.  Unless they need a signature, of course.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I live in a house in a typical suburban subdivision.  UPS just leaves packages; there are no notices.  Heck I can't remember the last time they even rang the doorbell.  I peek outside late in the afternoon and discover packages. 

@Kachina624

My UPS driver just leaves packages too....if it's a day Im working from home he does knock on the door twice (he doesnt even wait to see if I answer or not) and drops off the packages by the time I check the peep hole and open the door he's long gone............

@Spurt

They aren't supposed to wait.  Drop, knock/ring and go.  Unless they need a signature, of course.

That's correct.  That's what I was told by UPS.  I have a friend who is married to a UPS driver, and she told me that they are expected to get packages delivered quickly.  They are required to get onto the next house asap, so most of them just drop and run.  That's all they're required to do - just deliver the package.  (Unless, as you said, a signature is required).  Their time is closely watched.

That makes sense to me.  However, in my example upthread (the clearly marked "Perishable" Refrigerate Immediately!" package), it was disturbing that the driver couldn't be bothered to ring the doorbell as he dropped the package and left.  It would have taken no time at all.  

Esteemed Contributor

The only trouble I've had with FedEx was when they needed to call a wrecker to be pulled out of my yard.  It had rained overnight and in fact was still "misting" when he came.  Why he couldn't stay on the hard-packed driveway I'll never know.  FedEx paid to have the damage repaired.  Even after that they still like to pull to the side of the driveway.

My biggest problem with UPS...if it even WAS them and not QVC...was an order that was shipped and delivery was refused ON THE SAME DAY.  It was six months ago and it still bothers me because the item was sold out and has never come back in stock.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@LogoFan wrote:

I live in Chicago Illinois and have recently learned of new UPS handling of home delivery.

I spoke to a driver today who delivered a QVC package.  Asked him about some notices I have seen regarding dropoff of packages at an access point which is a business a few blocks from where I live.

He basically told me that it makes more sense to dropoff my package at this local business if I do not accept delivery on first attempt.  He was not clear on whether or not this applies to all deliveries because he said something about "potential" drop off on the package I just received.  He was just not clear.

I told him that my health is not good, and one attempt would not be sufficient if I happen to be at a doctor visit on the day he attempts to deliver.  If this was a heavy package, some of which I have had since I got wind of this new process, I would not be able to go to that business and carry my package home.

Frankly, I have many stressful health issues right now and am just not in the mood to call UPS just yet and get aggravated.  There has been no mention on the news anywhere about this new policy.  Besides all of this, we a paying for delivery which should at least require the 3 attempts always made in the past for a lot of reasons, before a dropoff anywhere in the delivery area.

Just curious if anyone else has heard of this new "so far not advertised" policy.

@LogoFan  Sometimes a driver will take packages to an access point, here it is a UPS store, and sometimes they won't.  A week ago, the most regular driver told me he saw a package of mine that was being returned.  I called both companies, and my packages had been returned without any notices being left here, so I had no idea what had happened.

I even signed up for My Choice recently, checking the "skip home delivery" box, packages to automatically be taken to the store, but this is not working, as driver's keep showing up.  UPS is one messed up company around here.  Perishables won't be dropped off at an access point, yet UPs drove around with my perishables for three days after they had been en route for two, didn't bother them then that the food may have been ruined, yet they won't take a bottle of supplements to the store, no explanation.

@mousiegirl

What you described around here is FEDEX---First they are a bunch of liars....they will leave a notice and say its the 3rd and finally delivery yet the tracking on their website shows one attempt!  Another time my brother sent a DVD of family photos and waived the signature required since it had no value to anyone but family......and that Fed Ex driver insisted on a signature and wouldnt leave it....my brother had to call Fed Ex and raise heck!!!  Another time a package was returned to sender and no notices had been left, no email etc when I called to complain they found out the driver admitted he ran out of notices...Woman Frustrated 

@Spurt  Sounds like UPS.  I realize there can be problems with all delivery services.  When Isaid to a UPS driver that I will not shop where UPS is used any longer, he laughed and said "we are the only one," to which I replied with several other services. They get away with their bad behavior because this is the attitude, this and they carge too much.

I have requested from several companies that they not use UPs for my items, so they switched me to FedEx.  More and more companies are using Ontrac, and I have had one problem with them, but at least they leave packages and once I am notified the package has been mailed, I receive it the next day.

Once tracking showed that my package had been delivered, but it had not been.  They gave me a really hard time, insisting that it must have been stolen when I wasn't home - even though I had been home all day.  Several days later, a neighbor returned from vacation and found it on his porch.  I didn't know these neighbors - They lived on a different street.  Their house number was different too.  But somehow it was delivered there.  Even in light of that news, UPS insisted the driver had left it at my house.

I've also had lots of problems with the "need signature" slips that they leave.  Once I signed a first notice, left for work, and when I came home, there was another one in its place saying "3rd Atttempt - Final Notice".  I have signed over and over, only to have packages returned to sender because - according to UPS - I didn't sign.  It got to the point where I simply picked up my packages at a UPS facility.  It was time-consuming and very inconvenient, but I had no time or energy for the stress.

And I had a friend who was ill, and received a gift of gourmet cheeses and other things. She had no idea there was a package outside, and didn't leave her house for 2 days.  The result was a large box of expensive cheese having to be thrown away.  Despite the many, "Perishable!", "Refrigerate Immediately" stickers all over it, the driver couldn't be bothered to ring the bell.  I called UPS on her behalf, and was told that the drivers don't have to ring the bell unless a signature is required.  That's fine, I guess, but it would have taken less than a second for the driver to ring the bell before running off to do his next delivery.  This was in the middle of summer, btw.  

UPS has been problematic in several places I have lived, so it's not just one area.  And I've never had difficulty with USPS, FedEx, or any of the others.  I would never choose UPS if I had a choice

@NYC Susan   I can relate to everything you said, especially the stress.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@LogoFan wrote:

@mousiegirl

@NYC Susan   I can relate to everything you said, especially the stress.

Thanks!

I can deal with simple mistakes and I can deal with human error.  But consistent unreliability is just not acceptable to me.  It makes me crazy to experience things like that because I've never had a job where that kind of thing would be okay.  Keeping stress to a minimum is a hard-fought goal even without this kind of unnecessary nonsense!

Contributor

I'll take UPS over USPS delivery anyday.