Respected Contributor

My local NBC affiliate just reported on this new scam.

You get an innocent text, apparently a wrong number. "Honey, I have to work late. Can you pick up supper?"

So the unsuspecting recipient replies "Wrong number."

The scammer sends back a friendly response and lures the recipient into a continuing conversation.

Over the next week the conversation continues, and little by little the experienced scammer starts getting important information. And eventually it can progress to requests for money, etc.

Clearly no one HERE would fall for this, but maybe you know someone who would. 

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

You get an innocent text, apparently a wrong number. "Honey, I have to work late. Can you pick up supper?"

The scammer sends back a friendly response and lures the recipient into a continuing conversation.

Over the next week the conversation continues, and little by little the experienced scammer starts getting important information. And eventually it can progress to requests for money, etc.

BLOCK AND REPEAT

Esteemed Contributor

That's been going on for a couple of years.These days I would never engage with a stranger.I've gotten those texts a couple of times. I delete them without responding.I've also gotten texts from out of state doctors offices "confirming" appointments,that I never made. I ignore & delete those too.

Honored Contributor

Block and report. Never open or reply.

I kept getting "your account is suspended" or "your package is delayed" etc. from "Amazon" or "Netflix" or "USPS" or "UPS".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Text Scam

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@PickyPicky3  yes it's been around for a while but it's good that they are bringing people's attention to it.

Just today I got one. Hello, how are you? Never answered. Yesterday was just a "Hi" from a different number.

Honored Contributor

I get a scam text of one kind or another  now and then. I block them and delete. I never open them.

I'm 75 and a lot smarter than the scammers.

Respected Contributor

I get a robo call from "Amazon" occasionally they want to confirm the purchase of an I Phone. No purchase history on my account. Why don't these people put all this energy into doing something worthwhile 

Honored Contributor

@Estellee ..................If scammers wanted to do something worthwhile they would get a job and become honest people.  There is not enough money in that and they dont have to work.  They live off of honest people.  They are bottom feeders in society.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

These kinds of junk emails or text seem to come in waves for me; I will get a dozen over a few days, then nothing.....then in a couple of weeks they start up again. Blocking only helps initially. They always have more ways to keep them coming.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Text Scam

[ Edited ]

I will just add whatever scam written about here to the other reasons I do not/have not done the text thing.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)