Honored Contributor

I got a message recently from my Medicare provider, with a number to call. I was torn, I usually ignore these calls, but If it concerns medical insurance, so I called  Excellus and asked if the number was legitimate. It turns out it was from a company that they deal with, but it was up to me if I wanted to respond. I check everything these days.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

My DH is picking up Medicare in a few months.  Our phone was ringing off of the hook constantly.  The callers were trying to sell Advantage Plans and Medicare Supplements.

It is illegal to call people to sell insurance, but,I suppose they figure " old people" don't know any better and they call.  They got DH on the phone a few times and said they were calling from Medicare.  DH handed the phone to me.  Brokers selling Advantage Plans are not Medicare.

I have been blocking these numbers for almost two months, but the calls keep coming.  I get an average of about eight calls a day.

My sister gets calls from people who want to provide her with a free back brace.  They said they will bill Medicare.  NEVER Give out your Medicare number to anyone over the phone.

These scammers are getting bolder by the minute.  If you answer the phone and you won something, tell the caller to send it to you.  

Never donate money to anyone who calls.  If you want to donate money, call the charity directly.  

i mostly just screen my calls.  If I don't recognize the number, I let it roll over to voice mail.

I told my family that if they are calling me from a strange number to let it ring twice, then hang up and call me right back.  This is a signal for me to pick up the call.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

easiest way to avoid a scam? dont even answer the phone if you dont recognize the number OR hang up when you realize what type of call it is.

@sunshine45 That's not always wise so I found out yesterday. I never answer the phone if I don't know the #. Yesterday a call came in from credit card member services so I assumed it was a scam. It was not. They were trying to verify charges to my Visa card. Since I did not answer the phone they cancelled my credit card again.

There was just fraud starting to happen on my previous card which they cancelled & issued a new card. I received my new card Tues & used it. Since they could not reach me to verify I was the one using it they cancelled it. I was not happy since I just received it Tues. Now DH has to go down to pay our St Farm Ins which bills us on our cc but cannot now. He was not happy he has to go to their office to pay the bill. 

I told the lady we don't answer calls to #'s we don't know so they will have a hard time reaching us by phone. I answered the call yesterday afternoon just to see what they wanted. Good thing I did. She wanted to ask me some questions. I told her ok but depending on what she asked if she would get an answer or not. She wanted to verify 2 charges on our new card. I still had no way of knowing she was who she said she was but from the questions she asked she was not trying to get any personal info. I did call my credit union to verify. I now have to keep this number wrote down so I can remember it next time if it comes over the caller id I will know what they want. She said the call would always come from that number.

I'm still not going to answer any other numbers I don't know.

Honored Contributor

My sister's MIL got the call recently saying it was her grandson who was arrested and in jail and needed money.  She said she didn't recognize the voice but asked if it was "Steve."  He said it was, and she continued talking to him.  She told him his father had more money than she did, and he should have called him.  I think she finally hung up.  She did say she was sorry she said her grandson's name.  He even called her "Grandma" instead of the name that her grandchildren call her.  I couldn't believe she kept talking to him.

She answers calls like this all the time.  I don't understad why.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

My sister's MIL got the call recently saying it was her grandson who was arrested and in jail and needed money.  She said she didn't recognize the voice but asked if it was "Steve."  He said it was, and she continued talking to him.  She told him his father had more money than she did, and he should have called him.  I think she finally hung up.  She did say she was sorry she said her grandson's name.  He even called her "Grandma" instead of the name that her grandchildren call her.  I couldn't believe she kept talking to him.

She answers calls like this all the time.  I don't understad why.

My dear father, RIP, got a call like this a year or so before he passed, and thought it was from his Grandson.  He said he was in some kind of trouble and could not call his dad.  My father actually went to the bank to get like $1,000 or so (don't remember the exact amount), to get to him somehow.  Thankfully the bank manager, who knew my Dad well apparently, got involved and put a halt to it.  I was so grateful to the bank manager.  My Dad would do anything for his grandkids.  I am sure he was embarassed that he was fooled like that.  Scammers like that have no shame.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

When I get calls like this and the person talks and does shut up I start continually saying **** off! They eventually just hang up because I'm usually screaming it. 

The new thing around my very rural area is the use the first 3 numbers for our area land mine and you think it's a local call and you answer it and they're trying to sell something. When I try to call the local number back it says " the number you have reached is no longer in service." How does a land line do that? 

Trusted Contributor

I made the mistake of answering a call from a local number, somehow thinking that it was a call for my husband. 

When I answered, there was no one on the other end of the phone. I asked my husband if that number was still in operation, and he said that it wasn't. I had found out that that number had recently gone out of business, so someone was using it to "spoof."

I don't think that it was any coincidence that now we are getting more junk calls from local area numbers. 

Honored Contributor

I have gotten the calls that my PC has a virus, my answer is well interesting since we have to Macs, they hang up fast

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Lets see... My latest bit of fun.  Got a call from local sheriff going to come and get me for not coming to court. (jury duty)  Well, legally by age I would never be called (I used to go and be on juries)  I explained the law to him. And before he rudely hung up HE SAID HE WAS COMING TO GET ME.  I TOLD 'GO AHEAD.' I told him I would serve him dinner and that would no doubt poison him. 

I then called the REAL sheriff myself. Small town.  Officer who came out was in my class.  He wanted to protect me.  I told him not necessary.. I had two Chihuahuas. We got a good laugh and he filed a report and left. 

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher

oh no....I'm going to have to split it with him!! I got the call yesterday (from a local #) and he said "hi I'm from Publishers Clearing House congrats......

thats all I heard because I hung up!!! So now I'm sorry I didn't get my pin # info 😉 

(Normally dont answer unknown #s but  was waiting for my surgery center to call with my admission info)

congrats🎉🎉🎉🎉😉