Respected Contributor

Someone just called dh supposedly from Publisher's Clearing House telling him that he won $35 million dollars.Their # said private caller.They gave him an account # and a pin # saying the money was at the Federal Reserve Bank. Gave him a number to call and yes someone there did verify his account. (meantime, I'm in the backgroung yelling, "just mail the check!" and telling dh to ask them if they know who Ed McMahon is) Smiley TongueDh then looked up and called the "real" Federal Reserve Bank and of course, there was no such account. They even have a recording on that says they do not hold money for anyone.They called back and when Dh said he called the Federal Reserve Bank, they hung up. Will it ever end?Smiley Frustrated

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

This stuff is never ending. Yesterday I got a call from myself. Yes it showed my number was calling me. My husband got the same thing 5 minutes before me. Neither of us answered and never do if we don't know the number. I looked it up and saw that people are doing this. I'm sure they think people will answer wondering why their own number shows up. So sick of these scammers! 

Trusted Contributor

Good for him.    When I ask for names, etc from the caller and state I need to verify they usually do hang up.  Any information I do get I give to my state attorney general s office.

Honored Contributor

I got a call yesterday that the IRS has filed a lawsuit against me for tax evasion.  Smiley Surprised

Since I got my refund back in February, I think that's probably not true.  Smiley Frustrated

But come and get me!  Smiley Tongue

I'm Sicilian.  I know how to live in the federal pen.  I'll probably say hi to a couple of my uncles when you process me along the way with my orange jumpsuit.  

I've been wanting to be an extra on Orange is the New Black.  I'll be a shoo in for a spot on set now.    

Honored Contributor

The latest one that I got on my cell phone was a local number asking for a "Susan".  I told him that he had the wrong number and was about to hang up when he said that maybe I could help him and that he was from some fund....blah, blah,...I hung up.

Trusted Contributor

They will never stop!!  I am beginning to think we should stop using all of our phones and electronic devices and use 2 tin cans with a tight string to communicate!!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Yep....definitely a scam.

I received notice that I have won this one and they even said the name of the florist closest to me to buy my flowers.

They also told me that even though there are cameras present when I open the door to receive my prize check, that I didn't need to be dressed up and in full makeup.

So.....I'm answering the door nekkid when they come aknockin'!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

They will never stop!!  I am beginning to think we should stop using all of our phones and electronic devices and use 2 tin cans with a tight string to communicate!!Woman LOL

@Newgate  I was thinking of training the birds again.  It's the least they can do for me after throwing out seed to them a couple times a week.  It's not like that stuff is free.  

Honored Contributor

easiest way to avoid a scam? dont even answer the phone if you dont recognize the number OR hang up when you realize what type of call it is.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45This is my philosophy same with the front door. My son was in the Navy and while he was on his first deployment he would call and get mad because I wouldn't answer the number I didn't know lol I started answering of course but then I knew the number.