Respected Contributor

I'm still surprised by the host choices QVC has made. The new hosts are meh at best. I honestly just don't understand! They certainly aren't as good as many of the previous hosts were upon arrival, and not as good as the hosts who were let go!!!

I'm not speaking about the newish hosts like Ali Carr, who I think is wonderful. 

Trusted Contributor

Have you ever noticed that Ali Carr's face and eyes 'smile' even when she's not smiling??  What a gift she has !

Honored Contributor

I think a great many people have selective memory.

In a lot of ways, some of the seasoned hosts were not wonderful at their jobs at all when they started, no way, no how. 

In her beginning, Antonella laughed loudly, continuously, and kept wearing jewelry pieces even after they sold out.  She would say she knew she wasn't supposed to, but say that she didn't care.  She later admitted (in a live Facebook video with some other hosts years ago) that in her early days she was told by her bosses that she was messing up quite a lot.

In her early days, Stacey used to stand with her arms and legs crossed, talk in a monotone voice, and rarely fully showed the clothing items on the rack. It was years before she found her niche in the food shows. 

I only say this to say that "upon arrival" is extremely suggestive.  They were not that great when they started, by a long shot, but they got much better in time.

I have no idea if the three newest hosts will become good, seasoned hosts.  I personally think one of them is wonderful and will hopefully be given the opportunity to grow in the position and get even better.  But my opinion is only my opinion, nothing more.  

If none of them sell, they will be gone too.  

Honored Contributor

I don't know who the new hosts are.  Do they make their debut during the early morning hours?  When fewer people are there? I've never seen QVC after midnight.  Even during weekends.

Honored Contributor

been watching the Q for too long, and IMO it takes a long time for them to become a good host.  some get it right away, some never do, most need a year or so to get in the groove

I like Monifa and Vanessa for newbies they are pretty good

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

Have you ever noticed that Ali Carr's face and eyes 'smile' even when she's not smiling??  What a gift she has !

she is very postive, but pulls out the 'my kids, wedding" stuff a bit too much for me, but she's younger and trying to connect 

Trusted Contributor

I couldn't even name a new host if I had to.  In the olden days when I did watch a heck of a lot more QVC, many, many new hosts were brought in.  Some didn't make it, some took awhile to fine tune their presentations and some were pretty good from the starting gate.  In those days, if the host was so so, he or she wound up on the overnight shift.  They rarely moved up to daytime if they couldn't cut it and after awhile, they were gone.  The Kathy Levine's of the world are few and far apart. 

Respected Contributor

yes,Ali seem like a gem.i like watching most of them,if items being shown hold my intrest.

Honored Contributor

I've often wondered what it would be like on your first day on air for a new host.  I remember public speaking at collage and how nervous I was in the beginning. Has anyone seen a stiff, nervous person's first day on QVC? Did they chatter inanely?  Move awkwardly?

Trusted Contributor

@sarahpanda  I adore Ali Carr, great host and lovely personality. She did come to Q as a seasoned host from shop nbc. Her style reminds me of a young Marybeth