Respected Contributor

This is an important topic for everyone, Clem, so thank you for taking the time to post your comment about it. 

I would get those scary pop up messages several times per week last year, and it drove me nuts!  I knew it was a scam of some kind and not to call that number, but I didn't know if any viruses were being placed onto my computer whenever these messages would appear.   These pop up "Virus Detected call Microsoft immediately" annoying messages with sound would happen right after I went to an article on my Yahoo! News page.  My takeaway is that just about every single Yahoo! News article has this malicious garbage attached to it.  My solution?  I stopped reading Yahoo! News articles altogether.  I no longer have this problem. Coincidence?  I don't think so.

However, I did get a "Microsoft" phone call, just yesterday, saying that they wanted to "credit my account" and give me a "refund."  Problem is-- I don't have Microsoft products or a Microsoft account, and this was an obvious robo-call scam.  It is very sad that this happens to so many of us with such regularity.  It wastes our precious time.

Respected Contributor

About three years ago, my brother who isn't really computer wise got that Microsoft call and fell for it.  Having second thoughts, he called me and told me, my heart sank and I groaned.  He was able to get his  $300 back, but by giving them access to his PC, he had to pay dearly to get his computer cleaned up.

I also got a similar call.  I asked the guy why was he calling me.  I didn't own a PC or use Microsoft.  I use an Apple product.  That threw him.  He started stammering and said he'd get a supervisor to talk to me.  After a few angry comments I hung up.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@CLEM@chrystaltree@this is my nic@Nightowlz@shopperqvc

A family member somehow fell for it and paid $300 to “them” to “fix” their laptop.

Then, it happened again three weeks later.  Geek Squad

@LTT1 & @CLEM I am sad to report I got took by this very same scam a few weeks ago.  $100 to have i viruses  cleaned up then the next week got scammed again with warning for hackers and paid $199.99 so same thing out $300 before I figured it out.

Had my computer cleaned and the bank wanted proof I purchased a new computer or that I had it cleaned, so I could have access to my account.

I needed a new laptop anyway.

A nightmare for sure.  They put such scare tactics that are awful. 

I did report them to the BBB, FTC, FCC.  Don't know if it will do any good.

Sounds like this has been going on for a long time.

Esteemed Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

At least it is new to me and I have never heard or read about it.

This morning I was on the computer, when all of a sudden my screen was filled with this huge message from Microsoft Edge .

There were several squares with messages including:  Your computer has been compromised by someone using your IP address.  Please call Microsoft Edge immediately.  Everything looked very official.  Then this female voice came on using an urgent tone telling me to be sure to call (it was a 877 number) immediately and absolutely do not turn your computer off.

The voice kept droning on and on.  I could not x out of anything.  So I just turned the computer off.  Turned it back on and everything was still there including the voice.  There was no way to turn it off.  So I turned the computer off again and just went about my day.

When I turned the computer on again about 6-7 hours later, it all was gone.

I am pretty sure this is a scam.   Perhaps everyone already knows this already, but I thought I am going to post it anyway in case someone like myself can benefit from it.

This happened to me about a year ago when I clicked on a link someone posted here on this bulletin board for something or other. OMG the screen had the message about all my "stuff" being compromised if I didn't immediately call a number and I was in danger of God knows what all and the voice was so loud and urgent it scared the bejeesus out of me. I couldn't get it off the screen. I yelled for my son who thankfully was home and I don't know how but he got rid of it. I came here and posted what had happened and several ladies responded that they had gone to the link as well with no problems. Then finally one other person said the same thing happened to her when she went to the link but she managed to get rid of it on her own. Forgot what she said she did. Since then I don't click on any links given here.

Honored Contributor

@lulutoby

what a scare they gave you! That is so underhanded!

I am headed off to get the yearly mammo! Will BBL

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@CLEM  I have not experienced your issues online, but the Microsoft scam calls bring out the worst in me.  I like playing with them.

1.  "We don't have a computer..."  (hang-up by MS)

2  "We don't run Microsoft, We run Linux"  (hang-up by MS)

3. (My favorite) "We just bought this house new 2 years ago and our windows are fine!? " (Another hang-up.)

Haven't had any calls in awhile...( I at least feel I'm taking some of their time from bothering other people.  Smiley Happy

@denisemb   Woman Very Happy LOL, I love #3Woman LOL

Valued Contributor

I love number 3, also! I just got a phone call, and the Caller ID said it was a scam.  I immediately disconnected the phone. I don't care if someone tries to call me, and my line is busy.  I am getting a whistle at Walmart, and will blow it into their earpiece........and make them deaf, with the loud whistling sound.

Esteemed Contributor

And now something way worse has happened. I just got a call that the IRS is going to be having me arrested. I'm supposed to call 202-843-8658 right away.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@CLEM@chrystaltree@this is my nic@Nightowlz@shopperqvc

A family member somehow fell for it and paid $300 to “them” to “fix” their laptop.

Then, it happened again three weeks later.  Geek Squad

@LTT1 My dad fell for it before he passed away. DH generally helps him fix his computer from our house since he lived in another state. He used Team Viewer so he could remote in to his computer to fix it. My FIL was ill with not much time left so DH did not have time to help dad when he fell for the scam. He just wanted his computer fixed right now. He had no patience. I see where I get that from.

My sister contacted his bank about it since dad was too embarrassed to do it. She had to fill out a some paperwork but they gave him his $600 back.

There was some scam on DH's laptop which used his camera to put his pic on the screen. LOL!!! He fixed his laptop both times. We are not paying a ransom demand. I forget what that scam was called. He put a piece of tape over his camera. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

They have called here several times with an urgent message that I need to call them. Not happening. I just laugh.

I have also had my screen turn red with an Microsoft emergency computer issues. 

I just Ctrl Alt Delete to bring up task manager & close that window.