Highlighted
Respected Contributor

At least it is new to me and I have never heard or read about it.

This morning I was on the computer, when all of a sudden my screen was filled with this huge message from Microsoft Edge .

There were several squares with messages including:  Your computer has been compromised by someone using your IP address.  Please call Microsoft Edge immediately.  Everything looked very official.  Then this female voice came on using an urgent tone telling me to be sure to call (it was a 877 number) immediately and absolutely do not turn your computer off.

The voice kept droning on and on.  I could not x out of anything.  So I just turned the computer off.  Turned it back on and everything was still there including the voice.  There was no way to turn it off.  So I turned the computer off again and just went about my day.

When I turned the computer on again about 6-7 hours later, it all was gone.

I am pretty sure this is a scam.   Perhaps everyone already knows this already, but I thought I am going to post it anyway in case someone like myself can benefit from it.

Honored Contributor

I fell for the scam last year. Anyway took my laptop to Geek Squad and have them fix any damage done. Geek Squad told me to ignore and turn it off. It’s not official even though it looks that way. I felt so stupid because I knew in my heart not to call. Yes great reminder to those unaware. @CLEM

Respected Contributor

Yes, it's a scam.  I received a phone call from someone stating they worked at Microsoft and were calling me about a problem.  I knew that Microsoft wouldn't be making phone calls, so I told this character that he had no idea what I had on my computer.  He was persistent!  I finally told him I knew that I was being scammed and would report it to my state Attorney General's office.  When I called the AG, consumer affairs, I was told that it definitely was a scam.  What happens if they convince someone that it's legit, they tell the person that they can fix the problem if they are allowed access to their computer.  They then install "ransom wear", and charge you to get rid of it.  

Sadly, many older people fall for this.  What these scammers don't realize is that today's older folks are quite savvy! 

Respected Contributor

@OKPrincess  I can see people falling for it.  It really looks so authentic.  What sort of tipped me was the voice that was sort of intimidating. 

I am glad you got everything straightened out.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

@OKPrincess  I can see people falling for it.  It really looks so authentic.  What sort of tipped me was the voice that was sort of intimidating. 

I am glad you got everything straightened out.

Thank goodness no harm done but I went through quiet an ordeal. I’m ashamed I fell for it. Anyway that was last year. 

Honored Contributor

Good information to know, thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

Yup @CLEM my favorite little piggy.  I've had this happen and it took a couple of weeks before it stopped happening.  Yes, I had sound effects and all....very alarming.  Take a deep breath and know this is a scam.  We had a hard time getting it off the screen, but know that if you don't react it will go away.  Scammers are sending out bait....just relax and don't bite!

Esteemed Contributor

It happened to DH a few months ago.He panicked & came running to get me.I turned the computer off & restarted it.Problem gone!! 

Frequent Contributor

Thank you very much for the warning. I had not heard of this scam.  We have to look out for each other!

Respected Contributor

Re: New Computer Scam

[ Edited ]

I received a message - It even said: "Invalid Scam" on the Caller-ID.  I saved the message, in case the AG needs evidence.  I want these jerks caught and prosecuted.