Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nestle will be using insect protein in some Purina pet food.

@Porcelain wrote:

Okay ew. Not cool to imply other posters caused their pets to die prematurely by feeding them Purina or any other basic pet food. Extreme and very unkind.

It's great that you feed your pet what you think best. But there is often a strange competition to belittle other pet owners for their different and completely legitimate, though possibly not perfect, petcare choices.

It makes pet discussions such a turn off. "Oh, you don't grow your own wheat grass? I feel so sorry for your poor Toodles that you don't love him more."

@Porcelain  If you mean me, I never meant to insinuate that someone caused their pet to die because they fed their dog Purina.  I made the comment that really, in the long run we don't know how much cheap kibble effects longevity of a pet.  I even made the comment that I have often thought to myself when seeing people buy this food, that their dog would probably live longer than mine,  I feel if a person takes on an animal they owe it to that animal to feed it the best they can afford.  If they just add 20% fresh food thrown on top of the kibble, they will be doing better for their pet.  I have always fed fresh food to my dogs yet three died from cancer.  I personally believe that over vaccination is what kills our pets....not to mention flea and tick meds along with heartworm.  Oh, and RoundUp on lawns....

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Okay ew. Not cool to imply other posters caused their pets to die prematurely by feeding them Purina or any other basic pet food. Extreme and very unkind.

It's great that you feed your pet what you think best. But there is often a strange competition to belittle other pet owners for their different and completely legitimate, though possibly not perfect, petcare choices.

It makes pet discussions such a turn off. "Oh, you don't grow your own wheat grass? I feel so sorry for your poor Toodles that you don't love him more."

@Porcelain  If you mean me, I never meant to insinuate that someone caused their pet to die because they fed their dog Purina.  I made the comment that really, in the long run we don't know how much cheap kibble effects longevity of a pet.  I even made the comment that I have often thought to myself when seeing people buy this food, that their dog would probably live longer than mine,  I feel if a person takes on an animal they owe it to that animal to feed it the best they can afford.  If they just add 20% fresh food thrown on top of the kibble, they will be doing better for their pet.  I have always fed fresh food to my dogs yet three died from cancer.  I personally believe that over vaccination is what kills our pets....not to mention flea and tick meds along with heartworm.  Oh, and RoundUp on lawns....

Thank you for elaborating. It's easier to understand what you meant now.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No, I'm not in the camp that judges what people feed their animals, as long as it is not something that is known to be harmful

Who has decided that fresh or certain types of diet are best?

And to show disgust at someone who chooses who has a nice car or whatever but feeds their pets differently than you do?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Read the labels. If there are words that are hard to pronounce, or you have no idea what it is, don't buy it. 

=^..^=

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

There are much worse things they could use as fillers. I've eaten cricket protein so no biggie to me. 

Contributor

That is why so many animals are sick or dying from bad ingredients made  in china or  other places in the world.  The vets are making out great though? I wonder about  that?Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I agree add fresh to your kibble, for your dog,but have saying that ,i feed good quality kibble ,fresh proteins, veggies ,fruit ,supplements, and cancer still takes them.

@goldensrbest    exactly. My last golden, sweet Lola , who I had to put down last March   had filtered water... I gave her quality food with many supplements and  even medicinal mushroom powders and much more... all her life.  Yet she still died from liver cancer. I  still cry about losing her...

But would you do anything different, @SeaMaiden ?  I look at people throwing Ol Roy dogfood into their shopping carts at Walmart and I think, "their dog will probably live to be 17", but I still wouldn't feed my dog that kr@p.  If that is all someone can afford to feed their pet and they give them love, I am not shaming them.  But there are people that say that raw or fresh food is too expensive, yet in another thread they are talking about the Dooney they bought or someother high end purchase.  It all comes down to choices and doing the best that we really can do and afford.

@tends2dogs      I really am coming to believe that it is the genetics of  animals  and  people that really is the key to a long life or not. 

I worry that dog breeds are on the brink of extinction now because it is a sin to have one.  I think dogs in general are becoming less healthy and less long lived--more prone to disease.

People have ceased to see them as dogs in many respects and are forcing a human life on them, and perhaps it is doing them more harm than good. 

Think about what dogs would eat if on their own, how they would life, what makes them happy, and then think about some today who are couch potatoes eating snacks.

Sorry, but sometimes I say what I think because I actually feel sorry for a couple of dogs I know who are living the "good life" human style. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nestle huh,  no wonder the Lean Cuisines have been tasting strange lately.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Read the labels. If there are words that are hard to pronounce, or you have no idea what it is, don't buy it. 

=^..^=

hckynut 

@hckynut, I've heard this advice often about products, including beauty items. I don't buy it. Not being familiar with something doesn't mean it isn't a worthy ingredient or that it isn't good for an animal or a human.

I think alot of this comes from a knee-jerk distrust of chemicals.

If you're concerned about a particular ingredient, I'd suggest looking it up on a credible site to see what it actually does. 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

My cats would love it. They LOVE eating bugs.

Yeah...

This definitely seems to be a kitty trait that we've seen in each kitty that we've ever had!

Each cat seemed to have their particular "favorite" insect to eat when they'd catch them inside.

One of our kitties loved to catch and then decapitate those house centipedes.

For whatever reason, he would catch them behind my bathroom hand towel on the towel bar in our main bathroom, and I would go to use that towel and--surprise!!--out would fall first the head, and then the body of one of those things and I would be screaming!! LOL!! Smiley LOL

Who would expect to see one of those things when you would be going to use your towel?!! Smiley Very Happy