Contributor
I am having my first ever colonoscopy this week. I’m 56 years old. I’ve done those FIT stool tests every year since i was 50, and figured it’s time to just get the big test done. Never had any GI troubles and all FIT tests were negative. But now my monkey brain is playing tricks on me. What if the FIT tests missed something and they tell me I have cancer or something and I waited too long?? Just looking for reassurance
Respected Contributor

Re: Nervous about colonoscopy

@CBonifacio wrote:
I am having my first ever colonoscopy this week. I’m 56 years old. I’ve done those FIT stool tests every year since i was 50, and figured it’s time to just get the big test done. Never had any GI troubles and all FIT tests were negative. But now my monkey brain is playing tricks on me. What if the FIT tests missed something and they tell me I have cancer or something and I waited too long?? Just looking for reassurance

Very doubtful that you have cancer without symptoms, most likely findings will be a polyp or two which they can scrape off during the procedure.  It takes about 10 years for a polyp to develop into cancer and many do not turn cancerous ( like moles on your skin) but they remove them for caution.  I think the worst part is the solution you will have to drink. I wouldnt worry too much just take the day off from work.

Honored Contributor

@CBonifacio  Please don't let your mind go into overdrive Woman Happy  It's better to have a colonoscopy just to confirm nothing is amiss.  I've had two in my lifetime (57) and there is family history for colorectal disease and I've always had good results.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

The prep can be a bit rough....it's a lot easier if you eat lightly a couple days before doing the prep so there's not so much to clear out!  Lay in a good supply of diaper wipes, which feel soothing.

The actual colonoscopy is a piece of cake.  They put in an IV, and the next thing you know you are waking up in a different room and are all done!  If any polyps are found they take them out right then and there.

If you are not having any issues or symptoms I wouldn't  worry about results...I'm sure you are fine.  

Frequent Contributor

The prep is no fun Smiley Sad  , but that's really the worst part. Unless you have had symptoms or have a family history you should be fine. The best thing...is that you are having it done.  I've had three and never had issues. Again, the best thing is that you are going to be tested.

Contributor

Thank you. I have “health anxiety” and always fear the worst. I’ve actually done those FIT test three times in the last 18 months so I figure if something was there it would have picked it up. My insurance (Kaiser) does FIT tests for low risk people but you can have a colonoscopy if you prefer. After talking with my GP, she thought having a colonoscopy would be good for my “mental health” to make me stop worrying. Otherwise she said the FIT test is an option which is acceptable.
I had a root canal and they put me in twighlight sleep so I figure I can do this! Lol.

Just am a huge worrier. Had a bleeding hemmroid last year and the doc did a rectal digital exam and was convinced it was from the hemmroid.
Honored Contributor

Agree, prep is no fun, I took all pills for prep 2 times, I found that to be the easiest method for me. Test itself is nothing, just a good sleep for you, dont worry!!

Respected Contributor

There are pills to take instead of drinking the "stuff." Talk to your doctor about the pills.

Contributor

I start the fasting and drink stuff tomorrow, but still eating very light today. Just ice cream and some tea. I won’t have dinner. I’d rather have less to clean out tomorrow
Honored Contributor

Since I was a very young child I have always had a fear of doctors, hospitals and anything to do with medical situations.  Everyone who knows me is aware but out of everyone I am the person who regularly goes to doctors!  

I always dreaded the colonoscopy and still do.  However, I go and have it done and afterward feel relieved and glad I did.  It is normal to be afraid and also human nature to think the worse, why, I wish I knew!

I did have polyps which were removed and a few in question.  However, at the time the doctor assured me all would be well and it was.  I did have symptoms pre colonoscopy.

You will be fine and be glad you had the procedure.