Valued Contributor

Re: Nervous about colonoscopy

I had FIVE of them in one weeks time. its the easiest test in the hospital to do. the propofol is lovely. love that sweet little nap. Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Many people don't like the feeling of being groggy afterwards 

Respected Contributor

"Stop worrying"-  Kind of a rude and dismissive comment! 

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Janey2 wrote:

There are pills to take instead of drinking the "stuff." Talk to your doctor about the pills.

Had mine a couple months ago and didn't know you could take just pills. I had to drink that awful stuff---Miralax in 2 big bottles of Gatorade. I hate the taste of Gatorade anyway so having to drink so much of it with the laxative was barf-inducing. I agree with others that the prep is the worst part. The procedure itself is no big deal and goes pretty fast.

You can bypass the having to drink the big gallon of stuff by paying for yourself (Medicare won't pay for it. only cost 100.00) a product called 

MOVIE PREP, just 3 glasses of sprite tasting soda.

Other insurance might pay for it, but, I'm on Medicare and they will only pay for that nasty big ol' gallon stuff. I paid for movie prep myself to save myself 

unnecessary sickness and possible having to call off procedure if bowel is not cleaned out.

I did that, but not with the one you mentioned. There was just an 8 ounce bottle and the rest was tons of water. It cost me $160, but it was worth it. I just couldn't get through the Go Lightly.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

Many people don't like the feeling of being groggy afterwards 

@Tinkerbell3  I guess everyone reacts differently, but my DH & I both have had 2 colonoscopies each...and never woke up groggy. We woke up refreshed, like from a very nice nap!

Respected Contributor

Of course we all say "don't worry, you'll be fine", but you'll still be nervous no matter how we try to convince you outherwise.  Everyone is.

I had my second one recently and the prep was a piece of cake.  Except for drinking the magnesium citrate (or whatever it is), that took me an hour to choke down even mixed with Sprite.  But I had a very easy time with everything else.

The propofol was OK, but I was groggy for the rest of the day.   :-(

Honored Contributor

@RainyDayGal wrote:

Of course we all say "don't worry, you'll be fine", but you'll still be nervous no matter how we try to convince you outherwise.  Everyone is.

@RainyDayGal 

Not everyone!  The 1st one? Ehh!  Next 14? Just another gallon of Go/NuLytely to drink. Most were with Versed and Fentanyl, not Propofol. 2 of them were with no anesthesia. Being nervous for me is long in the past. Just sayin!

hckynut

hckynut(john)