Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbors shocked to learn 13 siblings held captive

What are the ages of the parents?

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers and hope they all can eventully  make it.  They are going to need help. Sad

Honored Contributor

It's very disturbing.  Hopefully the kids, especially the older ones, are able to get the help they need to live a "normal" life.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

What are the ages of the parents?

49 and 57.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry if I'm repeating comments. Read more today about these vile Turpin parents. Neighbors were curious, but didn't report? Grandparents flew out to the city to visit but were turned away by phone -- Turpins didn't give parents address to visit. But grandparents didn't report? Sister, who is a religious motivational speaker wasn't able to speak to nieces and nephews for 19 years, but never reported this odd behavior? We were foster parents for 5 years and I'm glad for the drop-in visits by the social workers. Seriously -- I hope neighbors and extended family think about their hands-off approach. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

After my mom's death, dad turned to alcohol. Although he had a great job and provided for us, he was a PTSD war vet and troubled. Raised us 3 kids alone, ages 12 - 15, in a city 1,000 miles from family.

Last year my 90 year old aunt wrote and apologized that she didn't get more involved when we were children. She could have asked us the tough questions. It was the talk of the family that my dad may be drinking again....... I wrote and expressed I forgave her, but did say, although we are successful in our adults lives, it was tough as kids. We were alone. And all of us have paid for counseling throughout the years. My experience doesn't begin to compare to the Turpin children. My heart breaks for them. I have zero patience for people who don't ask questions when they see signs.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

There's a couple pictures on the internet of the children's faces not blurred out and all I can say is what sweet faces they were. As they think about their future from their hospital room, it must be dreary and scary especially at night and hospital food is not very tasty. They may not like it; some may require intervention to get nutrients into their malnourished little bodies.  So sad. I hope they pull through okay.  

Trusted Contributor

My question would be .... was there any incest?  

This is a sad situation.... but too many parents are abusive.

Esteemed Contributor

This case upset me so much (as many do). I just cant comprehend how anyone can do that! 

But you know what? Its not the neighbors faults but I said to my husband people dont notice things like the old days because neighbors aren't friendly like when I lived in the city. (And most couples both work and aren't home to notice things) .

Where we live here no one talks to us except the next door neighbor says hello. I cant tell you anyones name but the next door neighbors in this whole country development. I tried waving, saying hi, people turn their heads. I never experienced anything like it having lived in the "friendly city" most of my life. So I can see how people don't know anything is going on. But I think I would have noticed something, and Id have called authorities.. Because the one person said kids were outside doing yard work at like 10PM all the time and I find that weird in itself. Plus I am home all day and sit out in warm weather (while most work)

Anyway I hope and pray these kids can make a full recovery from what they went through! Its very sad! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I don't know if these kids will ever mentally heal.  It's such a shame.  Physically, they might have long-term problems too.

Even if the police were notified and showed up, who knows what would have happened.  Unless they actually searched the house and saw kids shacked to a bed, they probably wouldn't have done anything.  

It's tough to say...

Respected Contributor

So the mother had a baby at 47!...I know actresses and rich people do it with help from modern science.   Someone suggested that maybe the children had children.  I guess time will tell.  As far as people reporting it, we live in such a society that everyone keeps to themselves and if you don't,  you are considered nosy.  I dont want a nieghbor at my door asking how much I paid for my car or what I bought at the store but I would love to know someone would come over if they thought something was wrong.