Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor’s House Paint

I don't get annoyed by people writing checks that slow checkout lines, people cutting me off in traffic, or the person who blows her horn when she arrives to pick up my neighbor, but having to see this next door house every time I'd leave or return home, that would be an ongoing annoyance. 

Honored Contributor

Glad mine is brick

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Biftu 

Ohhhh, that would upset me too!!! I wouldn't want my house to look just like my neighbors. Sorry, that would be so annoying!

I get it, come on people she's not saying it's the end of civilization as we know it but it is annoying for those of us who painstakingly pick paint colors and want/value uniqueness.

I had a neighbor once who before they painted their house actually went around the neighborhood with a chip of the color and asked if we had any issues with the color (which we didn't).

But I loved that she did that because our homes are usually our biggest investments and our neighbors houses (when close by) can affect our value.  I thought that was extremely considerate and if I lived in a neighborhood like that again I'd do the same thing.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ManyMeows wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Ainhisg 

I'm quite serious.

What those neighbors did was unacceptable, rude, and presumptuous.

I suspect those who have been dismissive of the OP's justified feelings, and mine, indentify with the copycats.

My statement refers to how you would treat a neighbor.  I would not treat a neighbor the way you said you would. I would do the right thing and be friendly. PS...my home is all brick, so this isn't a personal issue to me. We reroofed our home in 2018, and a neighbor with a similar brick color liked it so much, that he asked what shingle/color it was. I was more than happy to tell him, because I know how long it took to find the roof I have and how difficult it was finding the "perfect" color to compliment the brick. I was glad to help.

@Ainhisg A roof is way different than a whole house color. 

Not when their color of brick is very similar to ours. After they got their new roof, both houses have the same roof, similar brick, same garage door color, same gutter color, same front door color, etc.

🙉  How do you handle a  REAL emergency, as in a Major Life Crisis?

I don't think you've done quite enough shopping today. Go ahead, soothe those frazzled nerves and buy yourself something pretty.

~~~~~~~~~~~`

* *  B L I N K S  * *   Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

This whole thread is much ado about nothing IMO. 

Definitely-paint colors on houses can't be trademarked, copyrighted, or patented. So they're hardly "intellectual property". 

I can't imagine going around a neighborhood with paint swatches either asking your neighbors if they are ok with it. That's bizarre to me, you own the house you can paint it any colors you want. Of all the things that could possibly affect your property value that is way down on the list.

No man is an island unfortunately, so unless one can afford a private island one has to just live with duplicate paint colors.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I remember Levittown here on LI in the 1950's and 1960's when every house was nearly identical.  Okay, they had a few different models, but basically one street resembled the next.  

Early Levittown NY and Beyond -- By Frank Barning and Friends: Vintage ...

@Jaspersmom 

This would really confuse me coming home in the evening. LOL

I know can't imagine finding my house at night .   I think in those days a lot of sub divisions or streets were cookie cutter ,  built by the same builder .  

Respected Contributor

I would find the OP's situation so uncomfortable that I would just go introduce myself and ask them about it directly. I wouldn't be able to get over it without some information.

Some neighbor relationships start with coffee and cookies. Others start with a discussion of property lines. How the relationship starts is not an indicator of how it will develop.

Honored Contributor

Toast ✅
Crockpots ✅
Canned soup ✅
Panty hose ✅
Grey hair ✅
Dogs in stores ✅
Christmas in July✅
House paint ✅

….. Just updating my list. 🧐
Honored Contributor

@GingerHead 

Your neighbor who checked her paint choice with the others in the neighborhood, was not only considerate, but made a great first impression.

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 

I think the fact that my neighbor brought the paint swatch to the few neighbors on the street was incredibly considerate and like I wrote before if I ever live in a community like that again I'll do the same.

It showed that she was caring and knew she wasn't living in a bubble, that there were actual people around her affected by her choices, after all our houses were a few feet from each other and are big investments in all of our lives. Nothing bizarre about that! 

Not sure, but maybe the disconnect here is between people who do and don't  care that much about the aesthetics of a house/neighborhood. 

I for one really care about interior/exterior design and want uniqueness in my design choices and a lot of people I know couldn't care less about such things...

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz