Esteemed Contributor

Re: Neighbor’s House Paint

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I remember Levittown here on LI in the 1950's and 1960's when every house was nearly identical.  Okay, they had a few different models, but basically one street resembled the next.  

Early Levittown NY and Beyond -- By Frank Barning and Friends: Vintage ...

@Jaspersmom 

This would really confuse me coming home in the evening. LOL

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Ainhisg 

I'm quite serious.

What those neighbors did was unacceptable, rude, and presumptuous.

I suspect those who have been dismissive of the OP's justified feelings, and mine, indentify with the copycats.

My statement refers to how you would treat a neighbor.  I would not treat a neighbor the way you said you would. I would do the right thing and be friendly. PS...my home is all brick, so this isn't a personal issue to me. We reroofed our home in 2018, and a neighbor with a similar brick color liked it so much, that he asked what shingle/color it was. I was more than happy to tell him, because I know how long it took to find the roof I have and how difficult it was finding the "perfect" color to compliment the brick. I was glad to help.

@Ainhisg A roof is way different than a whole house color. 

Not when their color of brick is very similar to ours. After they got their new roof, both houses have the same roof, similar brick, same garage door color, same gutter color, same front door color, etc.

🙉  How do you handle a  REAL emergency, as in a Major Life Crisis?

I don't think you've done quite enough shopping today. Go ahead, soothe those frazzled nerves and buy yourself something pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Biftu 

I can understand why you are upset at the moment.  However, in 5 years from now when you look back, where on the scale of 1 - 25 do you think it will be for you ?

Back to the present, you can choose to remain upset but what does that bring you benefit-wise ?  Change your focus(es) and see how you feel about the copycat issue.

Still in the present, posters here have given you some ideas: change the trim, paint the door a distinct, possibly bold color, add unique accessories ( porch swing, several distinctive hanging baskets, flower boxes on front windows, decor items, add a matching garden shed near the front, etc. ).  

Small things do not have to be expensive but can have a dramatic impact.

@jlkz wrote:

@Biftu 

I can understand why you are upset at the moment.  However, in 5 years from now when you look back, where on the scale of 1 - 25 do you think it will be for you ?

Back to the present, you can choose to remain upset but what does that bring you benefit-wise ?  Change your focus(es) and see how you feel about the copycat issue.

Still in the present, posters here have given you some ideas: change the trim, paint the door a distinct, possibly bold color, add unique accessories ( porch swing, several distinctive hanging baskets, flower boxes on front windows, decor items, add a matching garden shed near the front, etc. ).  

Small things do not have to be expensive but can have a dramatic impact.

@jlkz  I'm annoyed about it, but not obsessed as nothing can be done.  I do not, and never will, like the copycat situation.  I had my house painted three years ago and have no intension of paying to redo the trim or door.  I like the choices I have made. My decorating decor is also set.  Just hope they don't copy that!

Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I remember Levittown here on LI in the 1950's and 1960's when every house was nearly identical.  Okay, they had a few different models, but basically one street resembled the next.  

Early Levittown NY and Beyond -- By Frank Barning and Friends: Vintage ...

@Jaspersmom 

This would really confuse me coming home in the evening. LOL

@icezeus  Remember that song Pete Seeger sang in the 60's "Little Boxes" that was a satire of suburbia housing?

It was based on a housing tract called Westlake in Daly City, a town south of San Francisco.  The houses really did look strange up on a hilltop mostly identical.

Trusted Contributor

😂  You folks are fighting over house paint colors like brides-to-be fighting over bridal gowns at the "one day only $99 wedding gown sale" back in the old days at Filene's Basement in Boston.

Trusted Contributor

Send them a invoice for $500.  List the reason as "Designer Fee"

Honored Contributor

I can't even believe this post is for real. They may have been planning on that color for a long time. You seem to think the paint color is exclusive for you only--guess what? People are free to paint their homes whatever color they choose. 

Honored Contributor

Did OP ever mention the color? I'd laugh if it was eggshell or taupe, one of those boring dime a dozen colors. I'd laugh harder if it was turquoise or pink.

Esteemed Contributor

This whole thread is much ado about nothing IMO. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

If the painting has just been completed, perhaps it will dry down a slightly different color as yours.

Personally, I can see why you could feel a bit annoyed or even a lot annoyed.  I agree, you did the work for them. Cat Happy

Neighbors don't necessarily care or think of others in the neighborhood.  I just hope you like the people if and when you get to know them. Cat Wink