Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestion for washer and dryer set

@hckynut wrote:

@marzi 1 

We are happy with our pair of LG.

hckynut 

I love my LG front loader washer & dryer!  I bought them both over 8 years ago with a lot of bells & whistles and NOT ONCE have they ever needed to be serviced....now I hope I didn't jinx myself! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

My Maytag MTCs (the commercial line) are great no complaints. I also find I prefer the topload washer style without a central agitator.

ETA: On my dryer the lint trap comes out of the top of the unit. It's nowhere near the door. I really like that. I also like that the tops of the untis are slightly sloped. You can't easily leave stuff stacked on top of there long term. Removes the temptation to leave something on top of the dryer, cluttering things up.

Mine also doesn't have that agitator thing and I don't mind at all.  One thing is that I can just toss in the clothes and don't have to worry about it getting off kilter like I did with the old agitator type.  If I didn't have the clothing pretty perfectly even around it, it would go off center and try to jump out of the room.  Smiley Very Happy   

Before I always had Sears brand but in the last numerous years it seemed like Sears was disappearing so I was afraid that I would end up with appliances that had no support.

My GE units were made in the US, so that was nice.

Also, they are deeper than they used to be so if one isn't tall it's a stretch to reach the bottom.   Early on with the new ones, I actually got a rib fracture trying to pull out clothes from the bottom.  It was actually a freak accident because as I was bending over the machine, wearing an underwire bra, somehow I pressed the underwire into my ribs.  OUCH!

Being one always looking for a solution - what I did was grab one set of tongs in the kitchen that is a longer pair that I never use anyway (I have several not longer).   I put a hook on the wall near my washer and hang that longer set of tongs there so they are handy if I need to reach some socks or something in the bottom.   No more ouchy ribs!  (I'm like 5'4", if still that)

A rib fracture! My goodness, ouch! I like your tong solution. I wonder if anybody ever falls in.

My laundry hack is that I am a total convert to the free and clear detergent pods now. I just throw one or two in, with a bit of force to soften up the casing, and then pile the laundry on top. I keep the pods in a tilted glass candy store container that I keep on a thin rolling cart between the washer and dryer. Easy to grab pods and toss. Zero measuring or mess. (I have felt the need to hide the pods candy container when children have visited. Just in case.)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

love my speed queens......purchased them about 3 years ago. pricey, but they are dependable, work well, and i can adjust the water setting.

@sunshine45 @marzi 1  That is such a great point you mentioned, that you can adjust the water setting. I had no idea that isn't a common feature now, I purchased new washer & dryer a couple years ago and the machine determines the water setting. I always add the extra rinse setting because soap residue remains particularly on black items. I use the recommended HE detergent too but that doesnt help. 

Respected Contributor

I have Whirlpool washer and dryer, think they are made in US. However, the washer is “high efficiency “ which means it is the same are taking your laundry down to the riverside and banging it with rocks, actually might be more efficient. I totally dislike the idea of washing clothes in about 2 inches of water. No more agitators, no more sloshing and not as clean clothes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speed Queen is durable, but so much has to do with your usage. I typically do only three or four loads a week and my Whirlpool set just turned fifteen years old. I don't like the water saving and lid locking features mandated on new washers. You might want to consider Whirlpool.

Respected Contributor

My Whirlpool has the annoying water saving feature.

Honored Contributor

I have a basic GE set.  They make two lower-end washer models that offer the ability to set your own water level, which is the main reason I picked that brand.  I had an energy saving washer and hated the lack of water, especially with work clothes.  The model I have now lets you either use the energy saving feature or pick your own water level.

Other than that, both washer and dryer have control knobs rather than push buttons.  Not fancy, but enough options for my needs and I didn't need an engineering degree to figure out how to use them either.

Valued Contributor

@marzi 1 Recently had a repairman in my home and I asked him about the best washers and dryers. He mentioned Speed Queen, Whirlpool, but he said "whatever you do, stay away from Samsung!".

Honored Contributor

I love my Whirlpool Duet front load washer/ dryer. Get the pedestals also...will save your back!
Respected Contributor

@lynne6was7 

Sorry to hear of your displeasure with Speed Queen.  Can you tell us what model year you have?