Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need new cell phone....

[ Edited ]

It depends how you are going to use the phone.  I have Verizon and an iPhone 11 max pro and love it.  I use my phone to pay bills, surf the web, text, email, and just about everything I can do on my computer  I also talk LOL  No longer have a land line.  Have lots and lots of pictures too.  So for me I can justify it.  Get what you need. Trackphone is a good way to go with  little cost and after a year you can always get bells and whistles  if you want.

Respected Contributor

I suggest looking at the Apple iPhone SE.   It is a scaled down but has everything and more than you probably want/need iPhone 12.  

If you happen to have comcast for your internet, you can get 1M GB of data , free text, talk for $15.00 a month.   No carrier is cheaper.  After being with AT&T since 2002 I switched in Nov when I got a new phone.  It is way cheaper than all of the rest.  

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I love my IPhone.I have Boostmobile as my carrier. It cost $60 a month for both my iPhone & my husbands. We get unlimited talk, text & data. The service is excellent.It's owned by Sprint.I've checked & haven't found a better deal.

@NicksmomESQ

Direct TV now owns Boost Mobile. Sprint had to sell the company to merge with T-Mobile. 

Esteemed Contributor

My DH not tech savvy was scared of a smart phone I did research and found the iPhone 8 was a good fit for him. Got great reviews too. Easy to navigate and set up well I did that part. He uses it like a champ now and said I don't know why I waited so long. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need new cell phone....

[ Edited ]

@Neversaynever3dogs 

Verizon has Pre-Paid data plans that will save you some money.  All Pre-Paid plans have one thing in common. You have to pay for the phone without a promotion at the time of sale.

Verizon has information about this plan on the lower bottom left side of the front page on the website.

I buy my Samsung phones from Verizon. I just feel more comfortable. 

An iPhone12 will be  easy to use. The company makes five smartphones. The IPhone 2020 SE is 4G and the others are 5G. All new data plans are 5G. You just need a device, a data plan, and service in your area. 

Nick Ackerman has a YouTube channel where you can see the different sizes of Apple phones. 

Techmeout offers her take on the iPhones. Most reviewers talk about the cameras. IMO, this is what separates the phones. 

Dr Tech compares phones with music playing in the background. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm always going to recommend Consumer Cellular.  We've had CC for over a decade.  We travel all over the USA and always have strong service, no matter what city we're in.  Plus, it's cheap and customer service is fabulous.  I'm definitely cell phone challenged and I've called with phone problems several times -- one of their reps will walk me thru it and solve any problem I've had.  

I had a CC flip phone for years and recently switched to a Samsung J3 smartphone because it was only $50 on their website.  They ship the phones all set up and ready to go.  My monthly fee is $46.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I have and love my LG Stylo 4 phone and use Tracfone for service.  I pay about $120 a year.  It's a smart phone and does everything a more expensive phone does.

Honored Contributor
I’m going to stop at AT&T on the way home from the dentist today to get a new iPhone. For the past 10+ years I’ve only used iPhones. I like them.
Honored Contributor

I'm a Tracfone user. They have low-cost phones that work well and do everything I need a phone to do. My current phone, a Moto G7 Optimo Maxx, cost me $90 last August with a year's service and lets me shoot 4K video and take excellent photos. It has insane battery life and is just a great phone at a very good price.

The LG Premier Pro offered here (QVC) for $69.99 with a year's service is a very good option also. The Premier Plus Pro at $80 at HSN is also a good phone. 

I don't think most people would be disappointed with either of those phones and you could get either one and a year's service (depending on how much you use it) for the cost of two months of usage on most other phones.

Tracfone upgrades the phones they have available all of the time. The Samsung A51 with 128 gb of internal storage is now available ($220 through Tracfone) and could be my next phone in the fall. Of course, I'll have to wait and see what LG and Motorola offer as competition when it gets closer to buying time.

A lot of people overspend on phones when you can get phones that do all they ever use a phone for at a fraction of the price of the flagship phones. And the flagship phones are now inching towards that $1,500 mark, which is a lot of money for a phone.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I purchased a Tracfone TSV w a Samsung phone from QVC last year, 5G compatible. It was around $80.00. I don't use it much. It came with 1500 minutes talk, text and data. I only use it for talk and will have to purchase new card in the fall. I had my neighbor set it up.