Honored Contributor

Need Wi-Fi Coverage For Outside Cameras

I am planning to purchase Ring Wi-Fi Cameras for the front and back of my house.  I tested my Wi-Fi speed in both places, and it's only something like 320 Mbps where I want to put the camera in my back yard.  That's not enough, is it?

What do I need to buy to make it cover that area?  I looked at a Netgear WiFi Range Extender, but one of the reviewers said that it didn't increase his camera coverage outside.  I really want to use a camera in my back yard.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Wi-Fi Coverage For Outside Cameras

You can buy repeaters or it may be your ISP.  Have you checked with your internet provider?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You need a Ring Chime Pro. $49

" Extend your wifi signal to boost the network for all your Ring Video Doorbells and Cams."

Chime Pro - White

@NickNack 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

You can buy repeaters or it may be your ISP.  Have you checked with your internet provider?

@Sooner   I have Comcast, and everything is fine as it is now with everything that I have.  I don't want to pay for a higher speed as it would be quite a lot.  I just want to be able to use a Ring camera in my back yard.  I tested the speed on my front porch, and it is fine.  It's just not good enough in the back yard.

I think I did find a WiFi range extender that would work.  I hope so anyway.  I'm reading the reviews now to make sure.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

You need a Ring Chime Pro. $49

" Extend your wifi signal to boost the network for all your Ring Video Doorbells and Cams."

Chime Pro - White

@NickNack 

Thank you @SilleeMee .  I'll look at that.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack

A download speed of 320 Mbps should be fine. I would try the video cameras and see how well they run on network. You can then buy extender or repeaters. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NickNack

A download speed of 320 Mbps should be fine. I would try the video cameras and see how they run on network. You can then buy extender or repeaters. 

Thank you @Nuttmeg   That's the speed it is inside.  Outside in the back yard where I would put the camera it's around 33 Mbps.  After I posted this I read that 2 - 4 Mbps is all that's needed for the cameras.  Is that true?

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NickNack

A download speed of 320 Mbps should be fine. I would try the video cameras and see how they run on network. You can then buy extender or repeaters. 

Thank you @Nuttmeg   That's the speed it is inside.  Outside in the back yard where I would put the camera it's around 33 Mbps.  After I posted this I read that 2 - 4 Mbps is all that's needed for the cameras.  Is that true

@NickNack

A basic video stream like YouTube will run in 2-4 Mbps.

It may work?  Take your cell phone into your yard, run a video and see what will happen. Will you get a great picture and connection? 

I would not by a extender unless you need it. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@NickNack

Thank you @Nuttmeg   That's the speed it is inside.  Outside in the back yard where I would put the camera it's around 33 Mbps.  After I posted this I read that 2 - 4 Mbps is all that's needed for the cameras.  Is that true

@NickNack

A basic video stream like YouTube will run in 2-4 Mbps.

It may work?  Take your cell phone into your yard, run a video and see what will happen. Will you get a great picture and connection? 

I would not by a extender unless you need it. 

@Nuttmeg   Thank you.  I will do that with a video on my phone.  I definitely don't want to buy an extender if I don't need it.

-Henry David Thoreau