Trusted Contributor

An organization I belong to is having a Christmas party that involves wrapping a white elephant gift.  I have never participated in such an activity and they suggested just wrapping something up from your home that you no longer want and maybe include a couple pieces of candy to include something that is nice.  There is no price limit because they want you to wrap up something that doesn't cost anything but still would be funny.  I have NO idea what to do for this and the party is coming up after Thanksgiving.  Have you ever participated in a white elephant exchange?  What did you wrap for the gift exchange?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

@wismiss - I hate exchanges like that.  If I had something in my home that I no longer wanted, I would have already donated it, not foist it off on someone else as a gift that they won't want.  And that they want you to make it funny no less....the vision you are seeing is me rolling my eyes.

Nor would I want something from someone, from their homes that they didn't want that I would immediately donate.  What a waste of everyone's time,  And I just don't see the humor.

Does this gift need to be for either sex?  Or is it all women?

I would totally go against their suggestion and probably buy a few scratch off lottery tickets, add some holiday themed candy, wrap it all together and call it a day.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Agree with @wismiss ...challenging task, who wants used throw away items from your home.  I wouldn't put much thought into the gift....the lottery tickets are a good idea.   Or you could go to Ross/TJ Max and buy an inexpensive box of Thank You cards or pretty stationary or look in the food area for a festive can of cookies etc.  You can buy red tissue paper at the dollar store...wrap it and go have some fun with your colleagues!

Honored Contributor

@wismiss I meant to say agree with @gidgetgh  (don't have the Edit function).  

Honored Contributor

@wismiss  Lottery tickets - unless already scratched off are not in line with a white elephant gift idea!  The idea is to get something that is funny and not a nice present meant to be useful!  I participated in many,  just kept things to use at the next white elephant gifting.   There often is one stupid gift that keeps surfacing year after year and one in one of the white elephant gifting  was used for over 25 years.  A fruit cake also showed up yearly and the dates are posted on a sticker.  The wrapping and boxes changed size every year and it was really fun!!  Much better than seriously gifting things nobody wants anyway!!  Lighten up and enjoy the fun!!  Check out gag gifts online for ideas.  Don;t spoil the mood and fun by getting something that does't fit!  Lighten up and enjoy the fun!!  It's fun seeing how creative people get.

Honored Contributor

I've never wrapped up something used from my home. I

My favorite is buying singing stuffed Christmas animals/toys which is a hoot and a hit.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss How about an ornament or fresh candles? Something you have duplicates of or can easily replace.  You can have them think you had it lying around but it doesn't cost much to buy if you need too. 

Respected Contributor

Mistletoe might be easy, funny and something someone might have around the house. It wouldn't cost much and should be in a store near you if you don't have any on hand.

Honored Contributor

at JTB we are actively trying to downsize the last thing i want is someone's junk to store

can be a fun idea if you have stuff

op just take an old coffee mug and stick in a box 

Respected Contributor

Maybe you can conspire with someone else in the group?  Tell them you've never done a White  Elephant gift before and haven't got a clue and can't wrap your head around

giving something useless. 

If I didn't have anyone to bounce ideas off who "knows the ropes" I think I would opt out this time and watch the goings on.  Maybe bring  some snack to share.

The closest thing I can think of to wrap is a bottle of Poo Pourii .

Enjoy the Party!  Gift or not it's the conviviality that counts!