Frequent Contributor

Need Help Finding New Electric Range

I have been searching for a new Electric Range since my Frigidaire of 40 plus years is on it's last leg.  Been searching on line for reviews on models/brands I thought might work.  Reviews are deceiving as one model actually listed all reviews TWICE , showing more reviews than the actual fact.

I am looking for recommendations for Electric and self cleaning.  Do not want "faux" stainless steel.  I do like the industrial look but the price goes with it.  Just need a good reliable model.  Are coil burners better than glass top and so on?

I appreciate your feedback if you have an electric range that you love!

Thanks for your feedback.

Super Contributor

Re: Need Help Finding New Electric Range

[ Edited ]

Here is a link to a recent discussion here about this. I thought there were some great ideas and good information in it. Hope it helps.

Time for a new stove...

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for link.  This refers to baking more so and I am not a baker anymore.  I am the only person in the house and would use it for cooking vs. baking.

The more reviews I read the more confused I get.  Glasstop to no glasstop.  Convection to no convection.  This will be my last purchase of an oven that I will ever make at my age.  Lot of lemon ranges per reviews and I am trying to avoid that as well.

Thanks for reply.

Respected Contributor

I bought my new electric range two years ago.  I was in the same place as you are, trying to decide what to buy.  I ended up with a GE glass top double oven.  The pros and cons I have:

I didn't like the looks of the coils and the pans under the coils always looked bad.  I scrubbed the top until the white was coming off and had scratches.

I like the looks of the glass top but it takes a lot of elbow grease to keep it clean.

Make sure you clean the bottom of your pans really good after use.  You don't need special pans but they should have a flat bottom.  I have to be very careful when using my cast iron dutch oven.  Can't slide it on the glass or plop it down hard.

It seems to take longer for the glass top to heat up.  I have one rapid boil burner, but it still seems slow to me.

I bought the double oven because it's only me at the house, and I don't want to heat up a big oven for the small things that I bake.  I use the big oven at holidays or when the kids come for dinner.  I store my extra pans in the big oven.

My older range had the convection option and I never used it.

I like to bottle tomatoes in the fall, but I won't use my canner to boil them on my glass top.

So between the two options, I think I prefer the glass top for the looks because I don't really cook a lot.

Frequent Contributor

Scooby Doo - thanks for reply.  

I do like the looks of double oven too.  One review I saw online (forgot the brand) stated the top was not an oven but broiler only.  Odd.

Still searching to say the least.  WhenI find one on line that sounds good and find it in a store-some seem really cheap and flimsy.

Respected Contributor

I agree with Scooby Doo. I've got a non-induction Kenmore glass cooktop that's about 5 years old and an electric wall oven (we have a galley kitchen). Prior to buying this cooktop, we had electric coil cooktops for years. I decided to get the glass cooktop because we kept having problems with cleaning ladies messing up the seating/connections for the burners when they cleaned the stove. When it got to the point that we couldn't plug some of the burners back into place securely, I bought the glass cooktop. Also, I like the fact that spillovers don't get into the electrical connections. If you get a glass cooktop, get a black one.  Ours is white with gray specks and it's really hard to keep it clean.  I usually wipe it off after cooking something and scour it with Joe Campanelli's paste cleaner once a week. Also, keep the bottoms if your cookware clean. Our cooktop has a power burner that heats up really fast. The other 3 burners heat up pretty quickly, but the power burner's really fast. Beyond the cleaning problem, I've been pretty happy with it. I do have to be careful with my heavier pots and pans; also need to guard against dropping something from the cabinet above it. Regarding your oven dilemma, I'd make sure I had a decent sized oven from a home resale perspective. Some of the countertop ovens (formerly known as toaster ovens) are pretty good, especially for a one or two person home. Their footprint isn't too big and the prices range from reasonable to expensive. One of my friends who's a huge baker (with two full-size ovens) got one of these countertop ovens because she didn't want to fire up the big oven just to cook a couple of chicken breasts for herself and her husband. She's had it for a few months and has been very happy with it so far. Good luck!