Honored Contributor

I'd not heard either. It's terrible.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@OutofMadison  i wanted you to see i posted a video  to watch a 2 hr show on this.sorry i missed notifying you earlier.

Also for updates everyone you can read steve lookners twitter...he just tweeted 2 levees have broke.

https://twitter.com/lookner

Honored Contributor

When waters rise and spirits fall

You’ll listen anxiously to rain falling hard on your roof.
You’ll watch puddles swirling on the sacred ground of familiar streets.
You’ll feel a sickening, sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach.
You’ll try to grasp fleeting thoughts of hope that maybe, just maybe, they’re all wrong. Surely it won’t be as bad, as devastating as they say.

You’ll try to overpower Mother Nature by sheer force of will.
But she is a determined and destructive houseguest.
You’ll understand futility. 

You’ll go through motions, completing necessary tasks in response to catastrophe.
You’ll cry, feeling powerless to stop the bad.
You’ll cling to suitcases and bins full of hurriedly packed memories and moments.
You’ll struggle to explain what’s happening to your children, to explain it to yourself.

You’ll understand heartbreak; our treasures may be in Heaven, but the ones you’ve built on Earth are precious, too.

You’ll walk through rooms that suddenly feel more like tombs than bedrooms.
You’ll close your eyes, hoping when you open them, it will have all been a mistake, just a bad dream.

You’ll understand despair; control is an illusion we depend on for survival, but it’s not ours to claim.

You’ll wonder how to put one foot in front of the other.
You’ll do it anyway.
You’ll close the door on the Before you took for granted, and take your first steps in the After.

You’ll stay with family, maybe friends, maybe strangers—and wait.
You’ll watch the news with equal parts revulsion and fascination.
You’ll feel a strange disconnect, knowing the reality on TV is your life, but not.

You’ll eat meals prepared by the Salvation Army, drink water supplied by the Red Cross.
You’ll realize, maybe for the first time in your life, how vital and life-giving their services and smiles are to weary and hurting souls.

You’ll understand a new kind of grief, allowing it appropriate space to breathe but not breed will become an important part of the After.

But, when the water recedes and hope bubbles up—

You’ll see the task of recovery before you.
You’ll choose to rise to the challenge.
You’ll get to know the folks at FEMA, the SBA.
You’ll draw strength from the shared experience of neighbors, friends, family, strangers.
You’ll pull on boots and rubber gloves and fortitude you didn’t know you possessed.

You’ll understand hard work; recovery takes time and tests the patience and perseverance of even the strongest of souls.

You’ll fight with your spouse because you’ve never experienced this kind of stress.
You’ll hate yourself some days for the despair you let creep in.
You’ll wonder if you’ve lost your joy.
You’ll question how you’ll manage financially.
You’ll doubt your ability and desire to overcome.

You’ll understand hope; there’s laughter mixed with tears, and kindness—so much kindness—that flows from the hearts of others and from your own.

You’ll watch as months and years go by.
You’ll realize the sharp edges of sorrow soften with time.
You’ll never forget the Before, but you’ll embrace the After.

You’ll live with newfound compassion.
You’ll suffer with those who suffer, rejoice with those who rejoice.

You’ll understand the human experience; every heart is fractured in some way, but still beating with purpose.

Stronger.
Wiser.
Surviving.

You may also want to read:

Dear Nebraska, We Are Praying For You

Honored Contributor

Dear Nebraska,

As I lay here in horror at the tragedy that has been unfolding throughout the past days, I hurt. I am sick to see what is happening to you. The wind is howling outside my window, blasting you again and again. 

Parts of you are buried under feet of snow. Roads impassable. Drifts climbing high against houses and buildings. Tornado strong winds swirling around and around. Causing havoc. 

The rest of you is covered in water. Cold, ice packed, rapid water. Tearing through the land creating deep rips throughout. Bridges and roads washed away. Buildings torn from the foundation. Communities stranded on their own island. Isolated from help. Devastating those who call you home. For miles and miles, all that is seen is water. Angry, swirling water. 

And all we can do is watch in horror. As our beloved state is torn apart, right before our eyes. 

Your people are aching. Your people are shocked with pain. Your people are braving the elements to save the animals that live off your land. Your people are leaping into action. 

We know you are not for everyone. And we like it that way. So we can keep your beauty all to ourselves.

We see the beauty in your rolling hills, the lush greens of your forest, the colorful sunsets on your sandhills. We celebrate your crisp falls days drenched in red. We delight in your warm spring days. We crave your summer air that sounds like locust singing and smells of fresh sweet corn. We enjoy your sweet, soft snowfalls.

Those gentle moments get us through the hard days.

But our love for you is strong. 

Our cities and towns may be small compared to the rest of the world, but that is not what really counts. 

Our communities are filled with fellowship, friendship, companionship, and when hardship falls upon us, we ban together. 

We are a state full of people who work hard, pray hard, and love hard. 

And we are not going to turn from you now. When you need us the most. 

We will be helping our neighbor next to us even when our own farm is under water. 

We will be checking the new calves on the ranch down the road even when our own are unaccounted for. 

We will be giving the clothes off our backs, food off our tables, and money out of our pockets for our fellow Nebraskan. 

We are just at the beginning of this catastrophe. Early days. The known damage is not complete. 

But I will tell you this: 

We will rebuild you.

We will pave new roads. Forge new bridges. Construct new homes. 

We aren’t going anywhere. 

For we know—your people know—

You truly are “The Good Life”.

You are home. 

Sincerely, 
A born and raised Nebraska farm girl 

Honored Contributor

CNN did a story on the Nebraska Floods but the 

New Zealand tragedy is front & center. 

Respected Contributor

I'm very sorry to read this.  Because my father was born there and I work on family genealogy, I've read about Nebraska's history of devastating weather storms and fires.  I only wish it had all been history, not now.

People are often helpless against nature's major forces.  Terrible.  I'll watch for reports.

Valued Contributor

I understand this one is going to be worse than in '93. We were trying to get to central Mo. on our way home from Wy. then and we were the first car stopped at the Mo. River in Nebraska City. The water was starting to go over the bridge. We were routed through Neb. and Ks. in order to get home. What should have taken us about 4 hours to get home took us 10 hours.. All the water we saw going home looked like we were skirting a huge lake and roads were literally closing behind us. We came so close to be marooned in Nebraska. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, as I have seen it first hand and it is frightening.

Honored Contributor

I had not heard of this either.  Seems like every time I turn on TV there is another weather disaster somewhere in the US.  I hope you are OK.  

Respected Contributor

As a native Nebraskan born & raised in the Sandhills, this is beyond devestating.  Prayers to all my fellow Nebraskans who are in harms way.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BadWolf, I have relatives in Nebraska and I live in the Midwest (Missouri). Believe me, many of us have been following the devastation that is happening in your great state. It's horrible. Missouri is waiting for the snow melt in all of our northern and western surrounding states because we will be dealing with flooded Missouri and Mississippi Rivers in the weeks to come. Prayers are with all of you as you deal with this devastation.