Honored Contributor

The U.S. Forest Service announced today the the Carson, Santa Fe and Cibola (near Albuquerque) National Forests in New Mexico will close for all recreational activity until the end of the year.  Residents and visitors who want to camp, hike, picnic, boat, fish or do off-roading are referred to Colorado.  There is a potential fine of $5,000 + 1 year in jail for those caught on Federal lands.

The largest fire has burned 300,000+ acres and destroyed over 600 structures including 340 homes.  It's still going strong and is threatening the Angel Fire Resort.

One of those big slurry bombers flew very low over my house early this afternoon going to the airport.

As though this wasn't enough, some nutcase woman started nine fires this morning in the bosque (wooded area along the river) that runs right through the middle of Albuquerque.  Fortunately some workers saw her, called the authorities and helped put out the fires.  The area is being heavily patrolled.

Hot in the 90s here and very, very dry.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: National Forests Closing

@Kachina624  I read that in our paper today.   The train stopped running to Silverton because it might make a spark and cause a fire.  They just started running to there last week I think...DW

Esteemed Contributor

Our son's FIL and MIL have a cabin in the Carson area.  We've not heard yet if it has been lost.  😪

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Contributor

I have been so dismayed to read that the fires in NM still seem to be doing so much damage...I hope where you live is not close to the fires. Our weatherman yesterday said to expect smoky winds from the fires in NM to blow all the way into the DFW area from West Texas...sure enough, it is so hot and dry now, the smoky haze arrived. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

That is absolutely heartbreaking.  Glad we're mostly OK here in Colorado and can take the overflow, we're somewhat dry and we do get almost daily fire wind warnings.  Thankful however Friday & Saturday is a Winter Storm (as they call it) warning with rain / snow mix so that'll help.

Honored Contributor

Spoiler

@dancingwoman  I had thought about the trains and wondered if they would run since they create sparks.  I'm sure the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad will also stay in the yard.

I also wouldn't camp at our favorite place near Lake City.  Lots of people visiting the area and there's one narrow dirt road in and out.  In the case of fire, those who couldn't get out would be trapped.  Heavily wooded valleys and canyons.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  I love Lake City and Creede!...DW

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman    Me too!  One of my favorite places on earth.  We spent time there in the RV every summer for years.  Lots of trips you can take to see old mining ruins, cabins, beautiful majestic mountains.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  Have you ever gone to the Gem and Mineral shows in Creede.  They are great.  The vendors are set up in the mines.  Nice and cool in there on a hot July afternoon....DW

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman    No, but like to, it sound very cool literally.  I'm somewhat of a rockhound.