Honored Contributor

Re: National Educational Standards

I can't see any reason to be against national standards. It seems to be in our best interest. It's not a burden.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady wrote:

IMHO the federal government has no business dictating to local schools--period. It is up to the states and local communities. 

Not any more and you have Jimmy Carter to thank for it.  He decided that the feds could  educate children better than the local communities and the states, hence the Dept. of Education.  He did this country no favors.  I believe that we went from one of the best educated nations in the world to one of the worst.  JMO.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3   You have identified the critical issue.  Yes, I think national standards are necessary and especially for the reason you suggested.  The standards are rigorous.  The issue is a challenge for teachers in the classroom.  Students learn at different rates, have home issues, health issues, and sometimes unfortunately do not have parents that support educational goals.  A teacher has tremendous challenges.

Respected Contributor

Kids don't study national standards? Your post is unclear in parts
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spiderw   All my respect goes out to you.  A teacher for 41 years, you have been in the trenches and have seen the critical issues.  Yes, the diversity in the classroom will present challenges.  This is where a gifted teacher can excel.  Every child is an individual and may, as you know, learn in different ways.  Therefore, different modalities of learning and scaffolding must be present in the classroom to meet every child's need.  The ideal is when a teacher is able to create community with the parents so everyone is on board with each child performing at their best.  I'll bet you were one of those teachers!

Respected Contributor

Kids don't study national standards? Your post is unclear in parts.

Not a fan of public education for numerous reasons
Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd  hmmm...

Honored Contributor

pheonixbird  !!

Thank you for your excellent response and comments.  However, I must apologize for not being clear on my part in education.  I was a counselor for the problem and dysfunctional children in grammar and high schools which in itself was quite a challenge and very difficult at times.  I did sit in on class room teaching and in my family there were teachers.  I also worked with teachers daily and we interacted constantly. I appreciated many of the teachers who were creative and could get to the more difficult students through different ways for them to learn.  We were all in the trenches but we did our best.  I communicated and met with parents all the time and in fact they trusted me and would often have input since they knew their child's needs.  I think it is a work in progress between teachers, parents and staff members.  You cannot do it alone .

Again I am sorry for not clarifying my position but I thank you for your words of wisdom!!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not think as an educator I would ever label a child "dysfunctional."

Children (and adult learners) are unique and have strengths, weaknesses, diverse learning styles, different cultural experiences, strong or weak opportunities and resources, and varied exposure to quality education experiences.

National standards serve an important purpose--they identify the minimum knowledge a child should know and be able to do in a specific content area by graduation.

One can see content put into practice through national-type exams like the SAT, AP tests, GRE, LSAT, USLME, and so forth.

No teacher or administrator can ever be a complete expert in all components of a content area.

However, HOW the standards are taught and HOW WELL they are learned are really the biggest challenges!

Unfortunately, in our country, one's zip code can often determine the quality of the PreK-12 educational experience. Family income and community resources play a major role.

The United States is recognized as having some of the best higher education programs in the world.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

With the Sec. of Education position, we're in deep trouble. I'm all for State regulated standards, which is why we returned to Nebraska to raise our son many years ago. We saw what was happening in schools in so many other states and simply couldn't live with ourselves knowing we could provide him with a stellar education by returning to excellent schools, family roots and good friends close-by.

Changing a career path was not a big deal in the scheme of things when it came to our sons' education. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.