Honored Contributor

National Educational Standards

[ Edited ]

Our educational system has national educational standards.  At each grade level there are goals and standards that are required of the student.  If you live in Mississippi or New York, your child should be studying the same National Standards at the same grade level in every state.  You can google National Educational Standards and download what your child should be studying at their grade-level.  If they aren't.....you might want to talk to the teacher.  

There are also State standards as well as National standards.  These are added on to the National standard and go above and beyond.  States can differ regarding their state standards, but there is no negotiation regarding implementing national standards if adopted by your state.

There are National Standards for math, English, social studies (which includes how our government works), music, science, etc.

I was going to include this in another post, but I thought there might be a lot of parents who would be empowered by this information and miss it if it was embedded in another thread.

We are now at the point where we are evaluating the implementation of Common Core standands and the effectiveness.

Honored Contributor

Re: National Educational Standards

Do these standards apply only to public schools?

Super Contributor

IMHO the federal government has no business dictating to local schools--period. It is up to the states and local communities. 

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter   I have a quote below...talk to your school and ask how the national standards are being taught at the school.   The National Standards were implemented to assure equal access to education.  It also provides federal funding to the school system.  That being said....HOW the standards are implemented and the giftedness of the teacher will be as critical as the standard.  I would think a parent would insist that their child is learning at least the standards required at the grade-level and many talented educators go above and beyond.

"Technically,
private schools are not required to implement Common Core standards even in states where the program has been implemented. However, many private schools have signed on: Private schools may lose access to federal funds if they reject Common Core."

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd  As far as I'm concerned, national standards are not up to mine. I always took my chidrens' school education as a starting point.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Our educational system has national educational standards.  At each grade level there are goals and standards that are required of the student.  If you live in Mississippi or New York, your child should be studying the same National Standards at the same grade level in every state.  You can google National Educational Standards and download what your child should be studying at their grade-level.  If they aren't.....you might want to talk to the teacher.  

There are also State standards as well as National standards.  These are added on to the National standard and go above and beyond.  States can differ regarding their state standards, but there is no negotiation regarding national standards..  You can also find the state standards requirements for your individual state on the Internet.

There are National Standards for math, English, social studies (which includes how our government works), music, science, etc.

I was going to include this in another post, but I thought there might be a lot of parents who would be empowered by this information and miss it if it was embedded in another thread.

I have a feeling this isn't an issue for kids whose parents are involved in their education. Standards mean nothing to kids who are not interested in their education or parents who don't care either and just want their kids to get through the education system. If you are a teacher and if you care, then this is probably on you, good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady   I understand your concern.  I'm not a fan of major governmental control. In this case, it is an advantage for the students (especially in those states that were floundering with less than stellar educational success) so there is assurance that they are being taught a rigorous curriculum with goals for each grade level.  The teacher and how they implement the standards in the classroom is critical.

Honored Contributor

I totally am in favor of national standards and the fact that the states go even beyond the national ones. I'd be fearful if it was totally up to individual states.

The question is how do we make sure that our children meet those standards? That is the eternal can of worms.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   You are a wonderful mom.  If all parents were aware of the standards and what they should be learning at a base line, they can go above and beyond in the home.  The best of all worlds....a good education in the classroom and at home.  Kudos to you!

Honored Contributor

I am glad to see there are standards, I just hope they are high and benefit the pupils.  

I posted in the forums about seeing the standards lowered in the seventies and I experienced the change as a result.  I was part of the educational system for 41 years and am proud of being so.  

I think the lowering of standards were thought to be well intentioned but it is always better to have a high standard to reach especially for pupils who need challenge and push.  In the city where I worked many pupils had issues and dysfunction, lowering standards was not the answer for them.  There was much involved and not enough thought and planning.  This was my observance.

Thanks for the information!!!!