Trusted Contributor

Nanking Cherry Jelly

[ Edited ]

There would have been another half pint but it spilled down the drain.  Jar tipped as I was filling it... Good thing I was at the sink....There is a pic of one of the babies peeking out from behind the cherry bushes....DW35F9925C-FAC1-42B7-9B98-8EA0E2EEDA73.jpegB523EDE7-E7F2-4236-9EC7-AA238F70493B.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@dancingwoman 

I'll be over for sampling as soon as it cools Cat Very Happy

I have never heard of Nanking Cherries.  I'm going to look them up.  It seems your visitor might be enjoying some "pick your own" of your fruit.

Many years ago, there was a big berry farm near my house that had huge thornless blackberries for picking.  I adored going there on a hot morning and picking several flats to freeze and make jams.

Any jam is my favorite, but cherries and blackberries are at the top.

Sorry you lost a jar...it must have been terrible watching it go down the drain!  All that work Cat Sad

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman    Your house looks like it has some interesting things.  Is that a mural on the wall in the background?

I'm impressed by your canning skills.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  It's a mural painted on sheet metal behind the wood stove.  We were gonna put copper but it was too expensive...I'll find a pic of the stove with a fire in it... nothing I paint is realistic... just fun folk art...thx...DW365BD0CA-4130-46C3-AA89-1A2EACEE1E02.jpegDADDE1EE-27DB-4855-9B59-A4C97EECA9CE.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman    Very cool.  I like the modern vibe of the stove too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  The stove is made with slabs of soapstone...DW

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman ............What is nanking?  Your pic looks like canning.  It looks really good.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie  Nanking cherries are a type of cherry...they grow on shrubs..they are small sour cherries...DW

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman ..............I never heard of them.  I learned something new today!  Thanks for your response I appreciate it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

@dancingwoman , I had no idea about Nanking Cherry bushes until I read your post.

I have deer in my yard (no, I really don't want them) and have given up trying to plant any trees and shrubs because they just destroy them.  When I looked up Nanking, they are deer resistant.  A side note, I don't want them hunted or killed, just that they leave my yard alone.

Thank you, I am going to try to plant a couple next spring, if they do well, I may plant a hedge of them close to my patio.  I may have to protect them for a year from the deer, but they are beautiful bushes.  I doubt I ever make anything from the berries though.