Respected Contributor

Re: NYC EMT's Told Not to Transport Cardiac Arrest Patients to Hospitals

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

"According to 2014 data, nearly 45 percent of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest victims survived when bystander CPR was administered.

The majority of Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrests (OHCA) occurs at public settings (18.8 percent), mostly homes/residences (69.5%) and nursing homes (11.7%)."

https://cpr.heart.org/en/resources/cpr-facts-and-stats

From the very same source: "About 90 percent of people who experience an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest die."

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Sadly the USNS Comfort and the beds at the Javits Convention Center under Federal regulation are for Non-Covid 19 patients only.

Why is that sad?  If I needed a hospital bed I certanily would not want to be where Covid 19 patients were.  Think is is good that a different locations is available.

While in theory it's a good idea however just because they are virus free today and get to be sent to the USNS Comfort doesn't mean once they are admitted there they will be virus free tomorrow or the next day.

At this point I don't know if there is any fool proof way of not cross contaminating health facilities.

Honored Contributor

Just think the military medical personnel has to make those decisions of which wounded to not treat and let die and only treat those to will survive.  Very sad.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Sadly the USNS Comfort and the beds at the Javits Convention Center under Federal regulation are for Non-Covid 19 patients only.

Why is that sad?  If I needed a hospital bed I certanily would not want to be where Covid 19 patients were.  Think is is good that a different locations is available.

While in theory it's a good idea however just because they are virus free today and get to be sent to the USNS Comfort doesn't mean once they are admitted there they will be virus free tomorrow or the next day.

At this point I don't know if there is any fool proof way of not cross contaminating health facilities.

It is better to at least try and keep people safe when they are vulnerable.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

"According to 2014 data, nearly 45 percent of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest victims survived when bystander CPR was administered.

The majority of Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrests (OHCA) occurs at public settings (18.8 percent), mostly homes/residences (69.5%) and nursing homes (11.7%)."

https://cpr.heart.org/en/resources/cpr-facts-and-stats

From the very same source: "About 90 percent of people who experience an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest die."

@Sushismom 

That figure is for cardiac arrest patients that do not receive CPR at the scene.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

I just bought paddles on amazon just in case I have to give CPR to

my family.If  a member of your family needs an ambulance you mught never see them again if they go to the hospital....

Honored Contributor

How can they do that until they know if it's a heart attack or coronavirus?

I heard them say some have this pain that makes them think they are having a heart attack?

I guess if I get this ****** if it gets bad I will just stay home & die. Not going to the hospital when there's nothing they can do anyways.

People in Spain were lying on the floor in hospitals?

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

Me either. They already did studies on rooms patients were in that still have the virus in the air & on things in the rooms.

They keep saying it's not airborne but this makes it sound like it is.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

I agree.

I live in southwestern Michigan. 85-90% of our COVID-19 cases are in 3 counties in the metro Detroit area. It's hell over there and they're very quickly running out of hospital beds. Someone in Lansing had the boneheaded idea that they'd start shipping their overrun out to other hospitals through out the state. Yeah, that went over well. Every one of those hospitals said "absolutely not!".  Why on earth would you start willingly spreading virus patients around to parts of the state that have very few cases? That's just asking for an even bigger spread! They've all said they would take patients who do NOT have the virus if needed, which is entirely reasonable. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't even imagine what it's like to be a medical person who went into the field to save lives and help people and then have to make these decisions.

It's all just so unthinkable.