Honored Contributor

State Department raises travel advisory to Level 4, advising Americans to avoid all international travel.  Those who choose to travel outside the country, are advised that they may be forced to remain outside the United States.

Further details availabel at travel.state.gov.

Common sense measures.

Esteemed Contributor

i think people should avoid domestic airline flights, too, if possible. i must make a short trip soon and i am going to drive my car.

Honored Contributor

What a prudent choice you are making, @Goldengate8361 .

Honored Contributor

I heard that. Very slow in coming. We should not be traveling domestically right now either. And it shouldn’t just be a suggestion.

Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, there are a number of Americans stuck in Peru.

I guess they can’t leave their hotels, and armed military are blocking roads.  Quite the situation.

Honored Contributor

Yes, @PamfromCT , it was announced at the Task Force press conference yesterday that the U.S. military is involved in getting those Americans in Peru home.  They were pressed for details, but declined to go further.  My guess is they are still 'negotiating' and ironing out details...

Respected Contributor

Re: NEW TRAVEL ADVISORY

[ Edited ]

To keep us informed, I read a Coronavirus Task Force briefing is scheduled for 11:45 am Friday (today!)

Honored Contributor

Hey, thanks, alert @MorningLover ,  I always seem to come in on them part-way through!

Respected Contributor

My daughter was studying at Cambridge.  On Tuesday, they asked that all students go home and that there would be no classes or exams on campus for the next semester which starts at the end of April.  They did not want to penalize students who left the country and could not return in case there was a travel ban like this.  She came home last night.

Valued Contributor

Re: NEW TRAVEL ADVISORY

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

I heard that. Very slow in coming. We should not be traveling domestically right now either. And it shouldn’t just be a suggestion.

BINGO! This right here says it all. @willdob3  You are exactly right. Not only should this NOT just be a suggestion, but it should be enforced. 

Unless it is essential, ie: for your job, healthcare reasons, etc then NO-ONE should be traveling. Period. 

I just don't get it. WHY is that SO hard for people to understand. I've been taking all the precautions for this virus since it was known about, but honestly if there are others out there who aren't (and it wouldn't take many) then it really doesn't matter. This is the same way I feel about everyone needing to stay put. If you don't enforce it for ALL, then what's the point?

Essentially, they're saying well it's up to your governor/mayor whether he/she feels like your life is important enough and decides to impose a stay put order. And as you can see, not many have done that. I think only California if I'm not mistaken? So, kudos to that gov b/c he is doing the right thing, but sadly unless they ALSO restrict domestic travel unless it's essential, then I doubt it's really going to make much of a difference. 

I hope I'm making sense here. I'm no expert at all, but common sense is telling me this. I seriously hope that they get it together before its too late, but I think we may already even be past that point. This should've been done weeks ago. It's like they're not learning their lesson with this. Grrr....

#wewillgetthruthis

#staysafe

~ Hope in TN ~