Respected Contributor

My husband found an injured wildbird.  I've called just about anyone and anything I can think of...SPCA, local police department (non-emergency), Vets, animal rescues.  No answer.  Animal rescues take only cats and dogs.  No wildliife sanctuary anywhere close to me.  What do I do?

Honored Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH A BIRD ASAP

What happened to it? What kind of bird is it? 

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry, I know it can be heartbreaking to feel helpless.  We've had this happen a few times over the years.  You certainly cannot handle the bird without gloves at least.  

Sometimes it's just better to let nature take it's course.   Best of luck.

Honored Contributor

The only place I can think of is Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research in Newark, Delaware.  I'm sure they'd help you.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy - Don't know where you are located, but the Wildlife Center of Virginia is a wonderful facility.

What kind of bird and what happened? Did it hit a window? 

What state are you in that might help.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ask @Bird mama  ...  she may be able to direct you to an agency ...  you may not be able to reach anyone today because of the holiday, though.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

Is there a Fish and Game Commission for your area?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Any veterinary schools in the area?

The second bird I "rescued" I eventually brought to Tufts Veterinary Wildlife Division of the teaching hospital.  I had gotten very attached to him-her - actually the Bluejay had thought I was its momma.  Heartbreaking, but the kindest thing to do was leave it with them.  It was healthy even thought t had fallen from really high up from a tree!  Tufts had different people in different areas of my state (MA) trained in rehabing birds back into wildlife.  Anyways, I think of Babee to this day.  So, I understand what you're going thru as I had called everywhere when I found Babee.  There is a procedure in effect, you just gotta find it.

In the meantime, I made a bed for Babee using a shoebox, cotton balls, facecloths - I used a lightweight facecloth 'tented' across the shoebox at night and also found a larger box to put the shoebox in at nite when it was in the kitchen alone.  Use napkins or paper towels inside the 'bed' to clean up the poop (looks like Barbasol shaving cream).  They don't wet so one napkin is thick enough.

I fed it hanburgeer meat - just pulled apart couple pieces and fed - pretended it was a worm.  Guess they don't drink 'cause Babee never drank anything for the few months we had him/her.  

Also you can put the bird on your chest while watching TV or just in you hand - they need the closeness, imho.  Birds adapt just like our pups and kitties.  They understand when we talk to them and quickly learn our routine.  I've found them quite sociable.

Hopefully you'll find where to bring this baby asap.  We've got a bird wildlife place around here I've learned.  That's another place you could call to rehome.

Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy   I don't know where you are located.  Michigan's Department of Natural Resources has a page for wildlife rehabbers.  Some folks certain kinds of animals.

What kind of bird is it? 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I got thru to someone in my local township but they only referred me to the state wildlife number which was no longer in service.  Since it's Labor Day, everything is closed.