Respected Contributor

I still have the bird.  He's in the box in the shade.  We put some bird feed in there but hasn't eaten.  The bird seems to be able to move its head up (which it didn't do before) and more side to side but still twitches.  I took it out of the box and put the bird on the grass to see if it will fly away.  In my hand it seems to be able to stand on both legs which it didn't before.  However, the bird did not fly away and only moved one wing.  There are 2 24 hour emergency vets somewhat near me.  Only one answered the phone.  They will not take the bird.  The lady on the phone said the bird may recover and can take up to 12 hours to do so.  She gave me a 1-800 number a resource center but said they are closed today.  As I said before, I don't know if it's in pain.  When I took it out of the box, the bird really didn't try to do anything except move its head.  I'll continue to take care of the bird and will keep trying to get help.  Thank you everyone.  I may need you guys again, you all been more help than anyone I've been able to get on the phone today.

Respected Contributor

It is so kind of you you to care for it and try to find a place that will take it. All I would suggest is maybe give it a little water in the box in some small container. 

Trusted Contributor

What kind of bird is it?

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

It is so kind of you you to care for it and try to find a place that will take it. All I would suggest is maybe give it a little water in the box in some small container. 

I'll do that right now

Respected Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

What kind of bird is it?

I don't know.  Just all brown.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update.  You're doing a good job.

Trusted Contributor

Is it a house finch with possible conjunctivitis that finches get? They are small, brown birds with streaks on their chests. They are prone to getting this eye disease that targets the house finches. When they get it, they can't see properly and don't fly.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Valued Contributor
Bless you. Make sure to provide water to the bird.
Respected Contributor

I am a bird owner and very rarely I will take in and treat a fledgling or an injured bird.  It is a lot of work and may be in vain because birds can be delicate.

It is correct that in most cases vets will NOT take wild creatures. There are not than many avian-certified vets in the country, anyway.

Animal rehab centers are getting harder to find but are the best choice.

If you keep the bird in a box, it will probably die.  Wild birds are afraid being confined in a dark and enclosed place like that. The bird may be in shock and afraid.

If you just let the water and the food sit there, it will NOT eat as it does not know how to eat like a pet bird.

Can you diagnose the injuries?  Birds need to have food and water several times a day but will sleep during the night.  Certain birds eat meat (worms) while others prefer fruit and seeds.

I do NOT leave the bird out all night. I create a nest for the bird from dry grass and perhaps a towel so it feels secure, safe and warm.  I usually put it in one of my extra small pet bird cages. I somewhat isolate the bird due to potential bugs it may have that could infest my pet birds.

I will then feed it a mixture of mashed up fruits mixed with soft grains or organic baby food and water.  I bottle feed the bird or you can use a dropper, depending on beak size.  I usually do these (forced) feedings every three hours to help the bird build back strength.

If you can feed the bird before you go to bed, perhaps it can sleep tonight and recover a bit. I then get up very early and see how the bird is in the morning and if he wants to be outside and can fly (or with a fledgling, run and hop).

It is doubtful the bird will try to hurt you but be calm and soothing. Birds can die from fright and shock. I do not wear gloves, but you may feel more comfortable doing so.

I am sending my best wishes to you.

Respected Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

Is it a house finch with possible conjunctivitis that finches get? They are small, brown birds with streaks on their chests. They are prone to getting this eye disease that targets the house finches. When they get it, they can't see properly and don't fly.

I don't know type of bird. It's brown, all brown. I didn't see any streaks on the chest. Has only 1 eye. It appears more awake & trying to fly but only 1 wing moves. Head still twitches but maybe by it has only 1 eye. Not eating or drinking.