Esteemed Contributor

At my job we must wear masks.

We are given a new mask every single day.

We are given the choice between wearing the surgical mask, or the N95 mask.

Most, including me, choose the surgical.

But, prior to wearing the N95 mask, we were required to watch a video on how to be fitted for it.

Full disclosure, we have not gone through the fit test.

Here's a video of how to be properly fitted for a N95 mask.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PthSES4O9d8https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PthSES4O9d8 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I thought the N95 masks were to be reserved for medical professionals working with CoVi19 patients.  They've asked people to donate any they're able to get.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I thought the N95 masks were to be reserved for medical professionals working with CoVi19 patients.  They've asked people to donate any they're able to get.

Saw in Arizona masks are N95 are now being made in US

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My company has been made aware of that request, but people way up higher the ladder, who make way more money than I do, have decided that since we work with the public, we also could use the N95s.

It's way out of my hands.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819   @hopi    Maybe the situation has changed if they're being made in the US and are more available.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Anonymous032819   @hopi    Maybe the situation has changed if they're being made in the US and are more available.

my daughter works in a healthcare facility and they do not have enough of the N95 masks at this time. back when this first began to hit, they did not even have enough regular masks and gowns.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: N95 Mask Fit Test

[ Edited ]

Found this article ..here's a bit of it...

March 30

Honeywell announced that it is adding manufacturing capabilities in Phoenix to produce N95 face masks in support of the U.S. government’s response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

The company’s Phoenix expansion, coupled with previously announced new production in Rhode Island, will allow Honeywell to produce more than 20 million N95 disposable masks monthly to combat COVID-19 in the U.S.

“We at Honeywell are proud of our role in providing essential equipment to the first responders and medical professionals we are relying on during this crisis,” said Darius Adamczyk, Honeywell chairman and chief executive officer. “We have moved quickly to expand our production capacity for N95 masks globally and are pleased to announce our second new U.S. manufacturing line to supply the Strategic National Stockpile.”

Honeywell anticipates that the new mask production line in Phoenix will create more than 500 new jobs in Arizona. The company has already begun recruiting, hiring and training manufacturing workers on the site. Today’s announcement brings the total number of U.S. jobs created by Honeywell’s new mask manufacturing capabilities to more than 1,000.

The N95 face masks will be delivered to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to contribute to the American stockpile for use to support health, safety and emergency response workers. The Phoenix facility will prioritize fulfilling the U.S. government’s procurement, but it will also have the capacity to produce face masks for U.S. states and American healthcare and emergency response organizations.

Honeywell’s production expansion will also support additional American businesses, including industrial equipment providers and raw materials suppliers. The company is collaborating with state and local officials to ramp up production efforts and support hiring and training.

Trusted Contributor

Very dangerous information, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

That video describes a respirator fit test. Respirators must be properly fitted by someone who is trained. You don't need a fit test for N 95. 

Respirators are worn by those who do hazardous material removal such as asbestos and lead paint. When I was in college I had a pt job getting bids for this type of testing.

The video is for UK standards.

Ppl getting crazier by the day.

Trusted Contributor

This is from the CDC.  See the section about "fit under fire."

https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2020/03/16/n95-preparedness/

Don't want to access it?  I don't blame you.  It basically says it's a pandemic, folks.  

Hundreds of millions of people around the world wear N95 masks.

They figured it out, so will we when we get a chance to purchase them.