Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Where I live, we are suppose to wear a mask inside, but the few times I have gone into stores, there are always some people who are not wearing them, and some who have them around their chins, while they talk loudly on their phone. I don't search thiem out, they stick out like a sore thumb.

I guess its just a difference in where you live.

@Lali1 wrote:

I don't know who all these people are that don't wear masks people constantly gripe about. Where I live people are allowed to not wear them outside but indoors they must and do. Everyone I notice is wearing one. Then again I don't search for people not wearing them. Veterans also fought for people's right to make their own choices. 
Happy Veterans Day to all veterans! 

I think it's a difference in people not so much where you are living.  I go into places get what I need and get out. I hardly pay any attention to people. The mask doesn't make my feel secure enough to be out and about among a lot of people. I don't believe there are hoards of non mask wearing people inside places that require them. Certainly not enough to warrant so many threads about them. 

Trusted Contributor

You are very correct.....being in a MASH Unit I saw guts hanging out, the raw wounds inflicted by humans onto other humans... saw the worst of humanity and still have to deal with the carnage, including flashbacks. I cant even talk about some of the things I dealt with including wondering if I was going to make it home......and Im certainly not going to be pulled into the great "mask debate" here.....I think is why I look out my door and all I see is trees, forest and no humans or houses in sight. Although I am friendly I dont care about living near humanity anymore, after seeing the worst in it...critters seem much more pallatible at this point. LOL. My best to all of you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I was just at our Kroger and most people wore masks. But there were jerks who didn't. And they all had a similar look and vibe about them, a really negative vibe going on. Sorry that's just the truth. One pair of maskless ladies threw all their groceries in the bed of their dirty messy pickup and didn't put their cart back. And there was a very sour faced old lady going around without one on. A few bearded guys with no masks, but that is to be expected.

I've noticed that not all masked people seem nice, though many are. But the maskless ones generally do seem unpleasant at first glance. I hope they have hidden depths.

Of course it's not too much to ask that people not spread disease. In the trenches during war, disease was often what killed soldiers. Disease took out countless soldiers in WWI in particular.

@Porcelain  These seem like pretty broad assumptions.  My husband has a beard and always wears a mask.  Some of the maskless ones may have health issues that you will never know about.  

I guess I just didn't agree with this part of your post.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I don't know who all these people are that don't wear masks people constantly gripe about. Where I live people are allowed to not wear them outside but indoors they must and do. Everyone I notice is wearing one. Then again I don't search for people not wearing them. Veterans also fought for people's right to make their own choices. 
Happy Veterans Day to all veterans! 

I agree....veterans fought for our freedoms!

Masks are worn in my area always indoors...I've never noticed them not except outdoors or seated at a restaurant.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I was just at our Kroger and most people wore masks. But there were jerks who didn't. And they all had a similar look and vibe about them, a really negative vibe going on. Sorry that's just the truth. One pair of maskless ladies threw all their groceries in the bed of their dirty messy pickup and didn't put their cart back. And there was a very sour faced old lady going around without one on. A few bearded guys with no masks, but that is to be expected.

I've noticed that not all masked people seem nice, though many are. But the maskless ones generally do seem unpleasant at first glance. I hope they have hidden depths.

Of course it's not too much to ask that people not spread disease. In the trenches during war, disease was often what killed soldiers. Disease took out countless soldiers in WWI in particular.

@Porcelain  These seem like pretty broad assumptions.  My husband has a beard and always wears a mask.  Some of the maskless ones may have health issues that you will never know about.  

I guess I just didn't agree with this part of your post.

I agree I wasn't being fair with this. This was my description of what I saw while I was sitting in the car watching people coming and going from the Kroger entrance while waiting on the Nurse Practitioner to come out and give me my Covid test. (And I didn't mention that because I didn't feeling like discussing it yet. Still, that was information I withheld.) I was in the parking spot right next to the expectant mother spot, with my window open, which seemed a little risky to me when I thought about it.

I was in a bad mood. I was mad that I could have taken off my mask and gone and breathed and coughed on any of the maskless people, knowing full well I've possibly been exposed to Covid. And that DH could too, and he's definitely been exposed to Covid.

As to bearded men in general I have no issue with them. I did see a bearded man or two in masks. There's just a certain 'type' in my area and they often have beards and dress a certain way. And I am prejudiced about them and many would probably surprise me if I gave them the chance to. I admit that. That's my laziness, not their problem.

As to people who cannot wear masks for medical reasons, I think they need to stay home and stay safe. If their health is that delicate, they don't need to be tempting fate. If going out is unavoidable, they need to go for options that provide them with protection and not just do without. My opinion.

I don't think I would write this post the same way today as I did on that day. I totally agree I wasn't fair.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain I appreciate the fact that you came back and posted your thoughts.  I totally understand your frame of mind.  You seem like a very kind and thoughtful person.  That is why I found it strange that you wrote what you did.  Enought said about that!

My husband has been tested for Covid 4 times.  We thought there was the possibility back in March when he helped a man that fell off a bike.  The man couldn't get up and his bike was on top of him. We were outside walking without masks and without thinking DH ran over and helped him up. He could hardly stand on his own and was holding his leg up. The man wasn't wearing a mask and sadly, he breathed right into DH's face and was drunk (or had been drinking).  We called DH's doctor and he ordered a test.  I don't think there was that much knowledge about the testing then because it had only been 3 days when he tested.  He had to be checked again in 2 weeks.  Thank God, the tests were negative.  DH was so nervous about it that he went through one of the drive through test sites and was checked again and it was negative.  

Waiting for results is nerve wracking to say the least.  I pray that you and your husband receive a negative report and you can heave a sigh of relief.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: My thoughts today

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Porcelain I appreciate the fact that you came back and posted your thoughts.  I totally understand your frame of mind.  You seem like a very kind and thoughtful person.  That is why I found it strange that you wrote what you did.  Enought said about that!

My husband has been tested for Covid 4 times.  We thought there was the possibility back in March when he helped a man that fell off a bike.  The man couldn't get up and his bike was on top of him. We were outside walking without masks and without thinking DH ran over and helped him up. He could hardly stand on his own and was holding his leg up. The man wasn't wearing a mask and sadly, he breathed right into DH's face and was drunk (or had been drinking).  We called DH's doctor and he ordered a test.  I don't think there was that much knowledge about the testing then because it had only been 3 days when he tested.  He had to be checked again in 2 weeks.  Thank God, the tests were negative.  DH was so nervous about it that he went through one of the drive through test sites and was checked again and it was negative.  

Waiting for results is nerve wracking to say the least.  I pray that you and your husband receive a negative report and you can heave a sigh of relief.  

Your prayer may have helped! Woman Happy DH got the notification he is negative. Still waiting on my result, but DH is the only person I would have reasonably caught it from.

This has been a very minor inconvenience for me because I'm pretty healthy and not experiencing any symptoms. If either of those things were different, I can imagine being quite frightened, as opposed to a bit tense and cranky. I would not wish either feeling on anybody. I was also more concerned for DH because he does have some health conditions that could have made Covid a rougher experience for him. So even without my results yet I am extremely relieved. Happy day!

I'm also very pleased for you and your DH that he has consistently tested negative as well. That is a wonderful blessing indeed.

Edited to add: I'm negative too! Hurray!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr