Respected Contributor

I was just thinking as we are thanking & honoring all Veterans today. These heroes gave up so much for our safety. Yet so many won't wear a mask or take any measures to keep themselves & others safe. Do you think the Veterans were uncomfortable & missed Holiday gatherings? Yet people are not willing to do that these days.

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68   Good points made!  

I hope to get to "visit" with my dad and uncle in the state veterans cemetery this weekend.  They made great sacrifices.  If they were alive today, I wonder what they would think of the ones who can't deal with some of the minor inconveniences we have to "put up with". 

Respected Contributor

I don't know who all these people are that don't wear masks people constantly gripe about. Where I live people are allowed to not wear them outside but indoors they must and do. Everyone I notice is wearing one. Then again I don't search for people not wearing them. Veterans also fought for people's right to make their own choices. 
Happy Veterans Day to all veterans! 

Esteemed Contributor

Where I live and work mask compliance seems to be 99.95%.

You must have one inside every business establishment and on mass transit where I have seen virtually total compliance.  Slightly less out on the street, but even there compliance is high.

Thanks to all our Veterans!

Respected Contributor

I am glad people wear masks where you are. They are to be worn here in businesses &  there are signs on the doors that Masks are required but most will not wear them. We have a large number of Amish & none of them wear them & it is not against their religion as they wear masks for dust & at their sawmills. We even have one grocery store that employees won't wear them.

People can choose if it only affects them but when you are putting everyone else at risk where than is our choice.

Honored Contributor

I was just at our Kroger and most people wore masks. But there were jerks who didn't. And they all had a similar look and vibe about them, a really negative vibe going on. Sorry that's just the truth. One pair of maskless ladies threw all their groceries in the bed of their dirty messy pickup and didn't put their cart back. And there was a very sour faced old lady going around without one on. A few bearded guys with no masks on, but that's to be expected.

I've noticed that not all masked people seem nice, though many are. But the maskless ones generally do seem unpleasant at first glance. I hope they have hidden depths.

Of course it's not too much to ask that people not spread disease. In the trenches during war, disease was often what killed soldiers. Disease took out countless soldiers in WWI in particular.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Where I live, we are suppose to wear a mask inside, but the few times I have gone into stores, there are always some people who are not wearing them, and some who have them around their chins, while they talk loudly on their phone. I don't search thiem out, they stick out like a sore thumb.

I guess its just a difference in where you live.

@Lali1 wrote:

I don't know who all these people are that don't wear masks people constantly gripe about. Where I live people are allowed to not wear them outside but indoors they must and do. Everyone I notice is wearing one. Then again I don't search for people not wearing them. Veterans also fought for people's right to make their own choices. 
Happy Veterans Day to all veterans! 

Trusted Contributor

I served 10 years Army, and today I looked at some of the old photos, remembering places Ive been, things I have seen both good and bad. Remembering those who served before me, who had it much more difficult. Salutes to all vets.

Esteemed Contributor

My dad was in the Korean war, as was my uncle who has passed away. Anyway, my dad has talked about how cold it was over there, and how my mom had sent him some thermal underwear, and how he would let the other men wear it.

I hope all the Veterans have had a blessed day, thank you for your service.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My thoughts today

[ Edited ]

JMO, but comparing our Veterans to people who do/don't wear masks is a stretch. Our military puts their lives on the line to preserve our freedoms.Their service and commitment to defending our country for centuries has no comparison to mask wearing.

Note: edited....like many of you, my grandfather fought in the trenches in WW1, my father fought in WW2 and my DH served in the Army during Viet Nam. They served to protect our country. There is no comparison.