Honored Contributor

My state is the first to make laws about vaping for kids

Children aren't able to buy any of this stuff. Adults can, of course. Some people say it won't make any difference ,others say it will

I think you have to start somewhere, Kids are very vulnerable  to stuff like this.  I hope it helps. Time will tell I guess

Honored Contributor

Re: My state is the first to make laws about vaping for kids

i am not sure which state you are in @cherry , but maryland voted earlier this year to raise the smoking age to 21......and that includes vaping. it goes into effect the first of october. the military is exempt.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I am in MI @sunshine45 . It has been all over the news he last couple of days

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Children aren't able to buy any of this stuff. Adults can, of course. Some people say it won't make any difference ,others say it will

I think you have to start somewhere, Kids are very vulnerable  to stuff like this.  I hope it helps. Time will tell I guess

@cherry   Kids will vape regardless of laws, unfortunately.

As kids we had laws about buying ciggies but all of us had access to them; either having somebody buy them or go to stores that sold to anyone.

It is a good start and will help make it harder for underage vaping. 

The ads may not show younger kids specifically but the message is it's cool, great flavors, etc.  Kids will try anything especially if "everyone else is doing it".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I was very popular in the dorm because I turned 21.  Nothing new.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  middle school kids were doing it, and I think they are trying at least ,not to make it so easy for them to get the stuff

Honored Contributor

I have started to see commercials on TV for the devices, just my opinion, it shouldn't be allowed.

Respected Contributor

It's starting to look like vaping may be more harmful to the lungs than smoking.  As you probably know, many young people have been hospitalized with serious lung problems not seen in the past, especially in young people.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

It's a little bit more encompassing than banning sales of vaping products to minors. That happened back in June:

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/06/whitmer-signs-bills-banning-e-cigarette-sales-to-minors-with-sign...

What's happened now is that governor has directed the department of health and human services to enact emergency rules to ban the sale of flavored vaping products to anyone, regardless of age:

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/09/michigan-becomes-first-state-to-ban-flavored-e-cigarettes.html

I live in Michigan, and while I've heard it mentioned in passing, I wouldn't say it's been "all over" the news. It did make it to the national news this morning. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Its been all over our Detroit news stations