Frequent Contributor

Is driving me crazy.  Right before the holidays he suddenly needs numerous items and he needs them NOW.  The other day he said he was going out to buy a new kitchen knife set.  Then he was ordering wireless head phones.  Then he needed a new winter coat.  And he can't wait until Christmas.  If course I told him that he is not allowed to buy anything at this time of year.  And yes, I've already bought, wrapped and placed these items under the tree before he even noticed that he needed them. After 17 years you'd think he would know better.  No shopping for yourself during the holidays!

It's the little things.
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe he is just reminding you what he wants.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My husband......

[ Edited ]

I bet that is frustrating. It did make me laugh a little because my husband has been ordering vinyl records and some cds while Christmas shopping online. So packages came for others and him. I said to him, why do you shop at Christmas, and then tell people you dont need anything? lol. Hes so hard to buy for. This year I got him clothing and good headphones, because he uses junk headphones as of now. Those he wouldnt buy for himself, so Im safe. lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor
This is funny! My dad was the same way. He’d go out every year shortly after Thanksgiving and buy himself new shirts, pants, t-shirts, underwear and socks. Then he’d tell us kids he doesn’t need anything. We used to tell him not to buy anything, that we would get it for him for Christmas or take him shopping if he wanted to choose his own things, but he wouldn’t listen to us or my mom.

So instead of getting him useless things, I started buying him his favorite steaks for Christmas, which were porterhouse. He would rarely buy them because they were pretty expensive, so they turned out to be the perfect Christmas gift every year and he was very grateful.
Respected Contributor

My DD does the same thing.  I bought her an Instant Pot for Christmas.  This afternoon she called me and said she needs instructions on how to use her new one that she just took out of the box.  She didn't want to wait.  So now I'm wondering what to buy her and I have to make a trip back to the store and return this one.   Grrrrrr

She gives her kids their BD presents a week early and she's already told everyone what they're getting.  Takes all the fun out of it.

Respected Contributor

This post actually had me laughing!! My husband has done this for over thirty years. Every year I tell him he can't buy anything from December through the end of February. We have Christmas, his birthday and then a Valentines Day anniversary. Well last year he went to the gun shop and came home and told me that he had put a gun on layaway for me. I told him " I don't want a gun I have several and I have no interest in that!" He said " well it is not for you it is actually for me but I thought since it would be you picking it up and bringing it into the house then I won't get in trouble for buying it for myself the week before Christmas!" I laughed so hard as I just couldn't help myself. So needless to say I picked up the gun and while I was there I bought a really nice scope for it and he didn't know about that!! So he was surprised when he opened it up on Christmas morning. Now I have decided after thirty some years that all that matters is that he has gotten something he wants. So maybe you can sneak in something extra to go with what he buys for himself and will still be able to surprise him.

Trusted Contributor

We have a standing rule in our family...nobody is allowed to buy anything other than Christmas music or movies starting the day after Halloween.

Momma cheats tho...🤫

Trusted Contributor

@Kitlynn

Well that’s funny...DH bought a gun and as soon as he gets back from his work trip he can pick it up.

I let him buy those because they are not something I would go choose. He gets a pass on guns. 

Honored Contributor

Subtle hints about what he is hoping to get?

Honored Contributor

He's just testing you on if you've bought that for him already!  hahahahahahaha.

Old trick.