Respected Contributor

I am taking care of my friend's pool while they are on vacation. As a perk, I get to float around a bit while I am there.  

I drifted over by the skimmer basket and I could see something in there. Sometimes animals get stuck and you have to get the poor dead creature out.

From what little I could see, it looked reptile. Praying it wasn't a snake I pried the cover off. No rattling--good!

Inside, floating was a big, pink and black lizard. I poked it with end of the pool skimmer and it was alive.

Something told me not to pick it up with my hands. I got him out and he slowly crawled away into a rock pile.

When i got home, i Googled him and it was a freaking Gila Monster! The only venomous lizard in Arizona. When they bite, they won't let go. They are very rare and protected. Few people ever see one.

I feel good for saving him and REALLY good for listening to my inner voice not to pick him up with my bare hands.

Esteemed Contributor

Yikes.  Reading your post was freaking me out.  My dog's tail just brushed against my bare foot and I almost jumped out of my skin.  LOL  Geez, we just don't get things like that here in Philly.  The idea of a snake or lizard in my pool scares the poo out of me!

Glad you are safe @Ms tyrion2 ! 

Honored Contributor

Wow! That is a wildlife adventure!😬

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Yikes.  Reading your post was freaking me out.  My dog's tail just brushed against my bare foot and I almost jumped out of my skin.  LOL  Geez, we just don't get things like that here in Philly.  The idea of a snake or lizard in my pool scares the poo out of me!

Glad you are safe @Ms tyrion2 ! 

@Citrine1 ,

I am pretty fearless when it comes to reptiles.

Now, big bugs? They practically bring me to my knees with fear.

We all have something.  😁

Esteemed Contributor

@Citrine1 Dog's tail............I can't stop laughing.  I can so relate and......I'm still laughing.  I would have left that lizard in there until it died - dead died and let the pool owner handle it.   LOL   No lizard hero saver here!

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@Citrine1 Dog's tail............I can't stop laughing.  I can so relate and......I'm still laughing.  I would have left that lizard in there until it died - dead died and let the pool owner handle it.   LOL   No lizard hero saver here!

I couldn't do that @fthunt .

Besides feeling bad about a truly beautiful and rare animal, the pool cleaning system wouldn't work correctly with it in there.

I had to suck it up and do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 Okay - but you didn't know he was rare until Google.  That being said - a lizard is a lizard - Congratulations on removing him without getting hurt.  Me - No dice.   chipmunk = another story

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 Okay - but you didn't know he was rare until Google.  That being said - a lizard is a lizard - Congratulations on removing him without getting hurt.  Me - No dice.   chipmunk = another story

Ok. Got it.

I look at it as rare is rare. That didn't change because I didn't know it at the time.

🦎🦎🦎

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2.  You'd better ask for lifetime pool privileges when your friend returns.  I wonder if the poor soggy gila monster has made it back to his desert home yet?  Most people probably live there a lifetime and never see one.  Lucky you!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I'd be okay with letting the lizard go but if it'd been a snake?  One of us would be history-and it would be me making fast tracks out of there!

Glad you listened to your inner voice though and didn't touch him-