Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: My Thoughts on the Virus

[ Edited ]

@lovescats wrote:

My thoughts are if that many people can be infected in the state of  Washington then it can happen anywhere in the US

I'm starting to read more & more opinion pieces which say

according to the numbers & growth of the virus in the US,

restricting travel at the beginning would not have made any

difference & won't going forward. 

If anything, the restrictions will help foreigners from getting

infected within American borders. We're the ones everyone

should avoid. 

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately statistics on the cleanliness of hospitals and medical facilities are terrible. Hospitals in particular are one of the germiest, worst places for the ill, especially those with a compromised immune system. Staph infections are paramount in hospital settings which are directly linked to cleanliness and they are deadly. Any hospital or any medical setting is risky (which is why I will never understand entire families in a waiting room during one persons surgery or ER visit. Totally uneccessary and dangerous for all- it's a hospital, not a family reunion!).

This is not a advisory to not been seen if needed or to cancel appointments but please take every precaution, especially in imaging machines, MRI & CAT in particular- request a sitting MRI instead of the usual lie-down "tube" form, wear a mask (although it won't do much to prevent infection at least its a barrier), ask as to how the machines have been sanitized between uses, etc. Stay safe- be smart!

Respected Contributor

I had my Dr's nurse call me today and she told me to go ahead and cancel my tests and reschedule for later. It might be silly but that's what I'll do.

I asked her about my script refills that I have to get in person and she said the dr. will probably work with me when the time comes.

I would rather be safe than sorry. Now my only worry is no toilet paper!  

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

My thoughts are if that many people can be infected in the state of  Washington then it can happen anywhere in the US

I'm starting to read more & more opinion pieces which say

according to the numbers & growth of the virus in the US,

restricting travel at the beginning would not have made any

difference & won't going forward. 

If anything, the restrictions will help foreigners from getting

infected within American borders. We're the ones everyone

should avoid. 

@sidsmom  So why is it then that Italy - which had its first case after we had ours currently has 1266 deaths and we have 50?  If we are doing everything wrong, why isn't our situation much worse since we have over 5 times their population?

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer The problem is that we don't know how many people actually have the virus in this country because only a small number have been tested.

Respected Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@Isobel Archer The problem is that we don't know how many people actually have the virus in this country because only a small number have been tested.

@LinmoI'm not talking about the number of people who may have it, I'm talking about those who died from it.

The death toll is updated constantly on worldometers - and no I don't believe the health professionals are hiding the death numbers - not with all their predictions that millions will die from this.  

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer I really hope that our death count stays low.  I'm not knowledgable about the inital steps taken in Italy, but I hope that the US efforts to contain and mitigate will keep our numbers down.  I hope that we all listen to the advice of our state and local officials and use our common sense to stay healthy!