Super Contributor

Re: My Indecisiveness Has Paid Off

@fthunt wrote:

@halfpint1 I certainly have never heard of no clothing TAX in NYC - I can tell you the rest of us in NY get taxed.  Some confusion ...........................

I am at the other end of the state from NYC and we most certainly get taxed on clothing. My county also has a high sales taxes.

I have seen a few noce pairs of shoes lately but didn’t purchase because the $5.50 shipping for shoes is quite high, especially considering free shipping one shoes is quite common elsewhere but I may give them another look today. 

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Honored Contributor

@fthunt 

We haven't had a tax on clothing in NYC for years. 

I think I read somewhere that there are other counties that have no tax on clothing.  

Trusted Contributor

Most counties in NY still charge their sales tax which is usually around 4%. My countie of course still charges the tax. I think only a handful have followed along with the state exemption.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

Huh! New York City has no tax on clothing!  Surprises me as here in my Midwest City, no such thing, as far as I know. Heck, I pay City taxes and I don't even live in the City. Worst part, I pay their taxes, but can't vote for anything or anyone City.

And here I thought both the farthest East and the farthest West big cities taxed about e everything people buy, and/or use!  

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@fthunt 

We haven't had a tax on clothing in NYC for years. 

I think I read somewhere that there are other counties that have no tax on clothing.  

There is a tax on ALL clothing over $110.00 and it is  8.75% in New York City.

Respected Contributor

I think one of the reasons they eliminated thel clothing tax in NYC is because NJ had no clothing tax and many people went there to shop instead. It was a way of keeping the $'s in NY at NY businesses.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown