Honored Contributor

Re: My Grocery Store Trip Was Surprising

@patbz    Have you seen the TV ad the Navajo Nation is running on staying at home?  First time I've ever seen an ad in the Navajo language.  It was very well done.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I thought the Just Crack An Egg products were good but, at $2.79, expensive for what you got.  I'd rather buy the eggs, cheese, veggies, etc separately and make my own omelet or scrambled eggs.  When I bought them, they were on sale, and I had coupons, and there may have been a rebate, so they were practically free.

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake : The Navajo Nation is spread out over large areas of Arizona and N.M.  Many members are very poor and, in some cases, don't have running water, electricity or indoor plumbing.  In addition, many do not have internet access.  These people are very poor and as a group at high risk. So far there have been over 600 virus cases and some deaths.  As we are located near the reservation, the very few cases we have had in our local hospital are primarily N.A. (they are treated and then flown out to hospitals that are designated to deal with this).

Honored Contributor

Needed to go shopping today. We have gloves to wear and mask to be delivered this week. I kept Kleenex over my mouth and nose. Went to Fresh Market for the chuck and chicken special. A sign outside indicated everyone should wear a mask before entering. We were turning around to leave and a store clerk ran towards us and said come on in 

Every worker had mask and gloves on. The store had signs and markers on floor for social distance. We were the only ones without mask. We only shop there about every two months and a big difference from last visit. This was the first time they had limits on the meat purchase of 5 packs each selection. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

I was at the store on Monday.  One remarkable thing was that the bread table wasn't empty.  Of course that was the case because I was not buying bread that day.  

One thing that was a little surprising (not sure why) was that the table with the dish soap on it was all but empty.   I could not get the one I would have chosen, but was able to get a different product, so I'm set.

Frozen items still fairly empty, but I got my 4 Lean Cuisines and one DiGiorno 3meats pizza.  One of those, about the size of a medium pizza, is enough to feed me for three days.  Ok, I also add a little more shredded mozzarella that I keep on hand and some of the thinly sliced Gallo pepperoni I also have on hand.   Just makes it a little bit better!  Smiley Very Happy

The produce department usually seems in good shape and I can get what I want.   It seems like the junk food is what flies off the shelves, in lieu of the more healthy stuff.

It was a stupid trip for me because I didn't even write a list and, having worn the mask for the first time, I felt the need to rush because I have enough trouble breathing and wearing a mask is not fun.  But I did it, anyway, just to be a good citizen.    

I was glad to get home.  Smiley Happy

As to the mask thing - most of the store employees wore them and also most of the customers in there when I was there.  In my store (Raley's - a west coast chain) they also have these tall plexi borders up at the checkstands and also  if you bring your own bags you need to bag your own.   I don't mind that.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG    The Dole fruit is probably hiding out somewhere with the Campbell's soups.

@Kachina624 Thank you my friend. 

In my store all of the canned fruit is together and the shelf was labeled.  The fruit salad varities that come in the glass jars are over in the fresh cut fruits and vegie trays.

Can't remember fruit with soup at the beach either.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt, the masks can get hot and make it more difficult for those that have breathing problems.  So I am glad that you were a chickenbutt (lol) and just focused on what you needed to get and just got the task accomplished.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Valued Contributor

I went to our walmart at 6 am thinking it was for older people and for their safety due to age. The workers were stocking and had aisles blocked which can happen anytime. But, 90% of the workers had no masks on. The idea of mask is to protect others or from each other, No way you could stay 6 ft. away from them.. Very disappointed in our walmart for not making their employees take care. I do not believe I will shop there now and go to a supermarket that is obeying suggestions to prevent spread.

Honored Contributor

I am getting groceries delivered and I have got everything I have ordered except eggs one time (have them now).  I am surprised because I keep seeing empty shelves on TV.  

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt The funny thing was that in my store, the college group that bags there had on no mask or gloves!  I saw the managers in the raised office and they had on no mask!  Most of the managers are 45 (maybe one), the rest older, no mask or gloves!!!  Go figure!