Valued Contributor

Re: My GM brought her 28lb dog in a sweater to work today

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 wrote:

@mima wrote:

I haven't been here much so I don't know if there is a background story to go with this or what.

28 pounds is not a big dog.

I don't get the point of the post. 

It’s just a constant litany of complaints about something...

@Bri369

Truth.

Odd thing is so much of the complaints are about the job even while posting all day on social media while being paid to work. Not such a bad employer imo.

Esteemed Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I know a couple who take their small dog everywhere including church ! 🙁

@Azcowgirl That sure is different. Sign of things to come I guess.

P.S. Dog must be very good and patient to behave for a long time at church,

mine wouldn't.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Wouldn’t bother me, big or small. I do get the allergy concern. The restaurant is irrelevant since the dog isn’t anywhere near it. I’ve had dogs in the workplace on occasion over the years. It’s never been a problem.
Honored Contributor

For someone who has only owned 8 pound dogs in their life and currently has two sisters with 5 pound dogs, 28 pound dogs are big to me.

The dog is currently whining behind closed doors while I am trying to answer member phone calls.  The last time a dog was up here was a few days ago and a couple of weeks before that.

I am an animal lover and absolutely emergencies occur.  This is just getting to be the wild kingdom around here and I am also of the school of thought that kids and animals don't belong in the workplace barring an absolute family issue which not one of these has been.

Professionalism is going down hill in a big way.  I am all for a relaxed working environment but I don't want to listen to a dog whine or bark while I am trying to service people with real issues.  And I doubt most of you would want to hear it when you call for help on your next customer service call. 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9  I haven't gone near the dog or seen it.  I am very allergic to dander.  She actually has sign on her door saying there is "a 28 lb dog with a sweater inside her office."  LOL

Honored Contributor

So, she locked the dog in an office all by him/herself?   If that is the case, that's kind of messed up, IMO.

At least if the dog has to be alone, better to be alone as his/her own home than in some office with people on the outside but no choice but being locked up in there.

If I'm making a wrong assumption - never mind!  Smiley Happy   But, seriously, I do hope I'm wrong.

Respected Contributor

This "bring your pet to everything" thing that's going on has some real potential.  Picture nearly all employees, shoppers, church goers, etc., having a "therapy" pet they take everywhere.  You bring your Pomeranian, he brings his German Shepherd, she brings her Springer Spaniel, and I bring my 15 pound cat that hates dogs.  Wheeeeeeee!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I’d guess 28 pounds is about the size of a cocker spaniel.
Honored Contributor

My cat weighs 12 pounds. 😂
Honored Contributor

Honestly, I don't know why it matters to posters if 28lbs is big or small.  Are big dogs valued less than small dogs????  It's a dog.  I don't know what a "members only facility" is so I don't know if a health inspector would object to dog in an office or not.  If he's a short hair dog, I totally understand the sweater.  It's winter, it's cold.  My friends with short hair dogs all put their dogs in sweaters or jackets or rain wear when the weather calls for it.  She has the dog in her office, he's not running around the facility so I don't see anything wrong with it.  Perhaps he's taking medication at certain times so she brought him to work with her.  Perhaps they are painting her house or she has workmen in and she brought the dog to work with her.  I actually did that with my cat once.  It was years ago when we had the big house and we were renovating and I was afraid they would leave the doors open and my cat would escape or that she'd be scared all day.  I borrowed my friends big dog crate, I put a disposable litter box in it and I kept her in my office.  I held meetings in a conference room instead of in my office and hardly anyone t all even knew I had  a cat in my office.