Respected Contributor

Re: My Friend Thought I was Too Forgiving.

Wow, interesting friend you've got there.  I think what you did was appropriate, and I'm sure the woman on the phone felt horrified. It certainly wasn't her intent to upset you.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember being in my Mom's kitchen just after my Dad had heart surgery.  Someone called the house about the lawn service.  My Mom was stressed and did not handle the call very well, telling the person that her husband was still unconscience.  At the time, I thought my Mom was a bit rude, but the person on the phone kept asking questions even though my Mom told her she did not handle that service.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

Right after my dad's funeral we went back to my mom's house. The phone rang & I answered it. The person asked for my dad.I asked who was calling.The person identified herself & said that every few months my dad donates to her charity. I told her that he had just passed away.She then asked to speak to my mom to solicit a donation, without skipping a beat.

I told her she was heartless & to never call back!!

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Right after my dad's funeral we went back to my mom's house. The phone rang & I answered it. The person asked for my dad.I asked who was calling.The person identified herself & said that every few months my dad donates to her charity. I told her that he had just passed away.She then asked to speak to my mom to solicit a donation, without skipping a beat.

That is appalling, @NicksmomESQ .  That was a case where you were totally correct in telling her what you thought...at least I think so!

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I guess I am not getting the picture here.   Why would anybody need to forgive anybody when nobody did anything wrong?   The person who called was doing her job being she was not aware of your husband's passing.  She apologized and offered her condolences I am sure, you thanked her and wished her well.   Who did anything wrong?   I am sure it happens to people all over the world every single day.  Having been there I know it is shocking at first, but in a situation like this (scheduling) there was certainly no ill intent.  You handled it perfectly.

Your friend sounds a bit unhinged to me.

I, too, want to wish you and your family well as you face this holiday season and in the years ahead.

Heart

Trusted Contributor

You handled it well @CrazyKittyLvr2   After my DH passed I called all his doctors offices to let them know he wouldn't be making their appointments and the reason why.  A month later his eye dr.'s office called to confirm his appointment.  Told them again he had passed.  This happened 2 more times, this time calling to remind him that it was time for his next appointment.  I must admit I had had it with this office and told them he wouldn't be able to make it since he now resides in a black box on my dresser.  And - that was the last I heard from them. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Your friend is a jerk...it was a mistake for heaven's sake. Do we not think that young lady must feel just horrible. You did a loving...if you had handled it differently I would imagine this would play over and over in her mind until who knows when...if she is like me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

And that was a whole different situation...you did the right thing. What a heartless caller that was...my gosh!

Honored Contributor

BTW: I am so sorry for your loss...excuse me for not saying so in my 1st. post.

Honored Contributor

This makes me think of when I got a card in the mail reminding me of getting my granddog his rabie shots.

He had died several months earlier. 

When I saw the card I just started to cry. I called them and let them know

and yes they were very kind.

It was upsetting but then you know what?

A wonderful friend of mine told me that she thought he was saying happy birthday to me!

Because that postcard came on my birthday!

That made me so happy and I think he was tooSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"