Honored Contributor

Re: My Foray into Walmart Curbside Pickup

[ Edited ]

I have been doing pickup with Kroger. It is free, I don't think there is a minimum, and so far it has worked great. I was able to get a pickup time yesterday for the order I placed Friday. I ordered 22 things and they were only out of three. Last order, they were out of 2 so I feel lucky. You can also use their store coupons in your order.

The first time I tried pickup, the young man shopping my cart subbed birdseed for cat food. Not exactly a good sub...but the birds love it.

I attempted Walmart but after the problems two daughters and a neighbor had with it I decided to stick with Kroger. They are out of paper products like most places but i am already stocked up on those.

Super Contributor

I've been using drive-up grocery pickup at Walmart and Lowes Foods for about two years. It has always gone off without a hitch. Every once in a while they wouldn't have something I ordered. My husband would then go to the store a few hours later and there was plenty of that particular item on the shelves.

I don't think their websites are fluid enough to show real-time updates, up OR down, in their shelf inventories.

Since the coronavirus scare started, I'm lucky if the stores where I do online shopping have 35% of my order when I go to pick it up. Last week my husband had to go to Walmart, Lowes Foods AND Food Lion on the same day to get our measly $150, typical weekly groceries.

Drive-up works great - when there isn't a pandemic going on.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom   I've been using Walmart pick up for 3 years and have usually been quite pleased.  The store is 5 min from my house if I miss the light, less if it's green.  I picked up a $90 order last Thursday.  Got everything but a loaf of bread and 2 other things which I can't remember.  Got frozen food, sodas, deli pizza,produce, milk, protein drinks.  No TP or fresh meat, although I didn't need any.

I've heard of neighbors having orders cancelled because they didn't have the items to meet the $30 limit.  They seem to be slowly restocking but it's taking awhile.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@corita It's probably the difference in the time from when you order to when the "personal shopper" can go on the floor to get your order.  In the meantime, there are shoppers on the floor as well as checkout.  Everything in a person's cart shows as available until it rings through the register and is taken off of inventory.

The only way to be assured you get your items is to order from a warehouse that doesn't have shoppers on their floor.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in a resort community three hours North of Phoenix and looked into curbside WM delivery.  The website defaulted to the next town (30 mins away)even though our store is larger.  I decided not to try it.  After a week of looking for t.p. locally I tried to order it from Costco.com; it was in stock but they wouldn't deliver to my zip code!  I ordered it successfully from Amazon but it won't be here until sometime in May!  I guess if we run out we'll use the paper from the phone book that was delivered today (only sorta kidding).

Esteemed Contributor

I thought about that service from Walmart and other stores. But I like to see what I'm getting.  I know the places run out of things. I like to see expiration dates.
   I haven't been in a month, my commissary is closed to retired & dependents except one day a week. No prescriptions, glad I changed the refil to mail order. 
  Harris Teeter has Sr, shopping 6-8 tomorrow morning.

My mission impossible plan is to wear a yard mask, (glasses nose spray and eye drops first). Hat, gloves, sanitizer in hand,(they sanitize basket & hand it to you)  credit card & their card $ coupons in pocket. With detailed monthly list run through store and when home wipe each item with sanitizer before putting on pre sanitized garage shelves. 
  Sanitize frozen etc foods for kitchen, strip clothes off and toss in laundry. Store foods on the way to bathroom running naked through house for shower and washing hair. 
 Then walk dogs. 
My yard man to spray for bugs wants to come at 8 , I had to postpone him until 3 because I need to run to the shower. I have lots of windows. 
  Shopping used to be so easy!

Honored Contributor

I think it varies as to where you live. Walmarts here have opened way too many in the last couple of years in areas already crowded with development; the last one wiped out an entire block of houses just to have a big parking lot. Most of the area has not forgiven them for that! They are still working on fine-tuning the whole pickup or delivery system. They did not have curbside pickup until recently.
Esteemed Contributor

I got up early yesterday morning and went to Wal-Mart and finished up at Meijer (which is what I normally do anyway).  Wal-Mart was very well stocked except for a few things.  I saw several employees picking up the orders for the curbside pickup service.  They have pretty large carts with several blue bins on them.  

Before COVID-19, this particular Wal-Mart was poor at restocking so I was very surprised, and pleased, that they had it well stocked.  I even saw several employees restocking shelves and I very rarely see that.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@patbz   What brand did you order from Amazon?  I keep looking but can't find any at a reasonable price.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 :  I don't even know (was a name brand I've ordered before); the important thing was that it was in stock.