Esteemed Contributor

I really thought the Judge's final 'speech' was unnecessary. Isn't he supposed to be non-judgemental?  The guilt decision on was for the jurors and not him!  That said, I absolutely think Alex is guilty.....

Trusted Contributor

@corita wrote:

I really thought the Judge's final 'speech' was unnecessary. Isn't he supposed to be non-judgemental?  The guilt decision on was for the jurors and not him!  That said, I absolutely think Alex is guilty.....

It was his "judgement" that determined the sentence that he imposed. Bravo!

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Esteemed Contributor

@paixmcdao wrote:

@corita wrote:

-----

His sentencing decision was supposed to be based on jurors' verdict and nothing else... 

All that other talk about the ghosts of his wife and son was totally unnecessary....

Trusted Contributor

Re: Murdaugh Sentence

[ Edited ]

@corita wrote:

@paixmcdao wrote:

@corita wrote:

-----

His sentencing decision was supposed to be based on jurors' verdict and nothing else... 

All that other talk about the ghosts of his wife and son was totally unnecessary....

The jury decided the verdict, and the judge imposed the sentence using his discretion. The statute provided a range of 30 years, to life without parole. It certainly is not unusual for a judge to make a statement during sentencing. I respect your opinion.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Regular Contributor

@corita wrote:

Judges make sentencing remarks all the time as it explains his/her's reason for the imposed sentence. Now whether or not it seemed biased or unfair is up to the people involved.

Esteemed Contributor
The judge is human and has an opinion & has the freedom to express his thoughts. The judge can also overturn a verdict (JNOV) for insufficient evidence. So obviously, he agreed with the jury in this case