Respected Contributor

Murdaugh-Bak In Court 2day-Financial Crimes

[ Edited ]

This might be stale news by at least 1 hr.

Murdaugh expected to plead guilty

New Financial Crimes Charges Against Alex Murdaugh

101 Total Charges

(incl Money Laundering, Tax Evasion, Bank Fraud

$8.8 Million Loss to Victims

Murdaugh expected to pleade Guilty

Respected Contributor

Re: Murdaugh-Bak In Court 2day-Financial Crimes

Update -

"Convicted murderer  Alex Murdaugh pleaded guilty in federal court Thursday to almost two dozen counts of financial fraud and money laundering, ending one facet of a tangled case that exposed the disbarred lawyer's string of crimes and disgraced his  family's legal legacy  in South Carolina.

The plea deal requires Murdaugh, 55, to pay restitution to "each and every identifiable victim," according to the agreement with federal prosecutors, who accused him of stealing about $9 million from clients in a "pattern of criminal activity" going back more than a decade.

He will be sentenced on a future date for the federal financial crimes, including 14 counts of money laundering, five counts of wire fraud and one count of bank fraud. Federal prosecutors say Murdaugh, who worked at the family's Hampton County law firm, cheated clients out of settlement money and created fraudulent bank accounts."

"The various charges carry a maximum of at least 20 years in prison.

But Murdaugh's legal woes are from over.

He faces a state trial in November related to his alleged financial crimes — 101 total charges that include accusations that he siphoned off insurance settlement funds in the  death of the Murdaughs' longtime housekeeper, Gloria Satterfield. Satterfield died in 2018 after what had been described as a " trip and fall accident" at the family home."  (ref:  NBC News  )

<<<   Continues  >>>

Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone actually believe that the housekeeper tripped and fell on her own?  I sure don't.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hi  @Puppy Lips   Woman Happy

There's too many divergent stories about the Housekeeper's deadly "accident."

Plus, how many families insure their Housekeeper, &  esp, for such an uber, uber generous Pay Out Policy?  

Honored Contributor

I wonder how his various settlements will be disbursed.  Is it first come, first served?  Or will they wait for all his crimes to be tried and then decide an order of disbursement?  Surely there won't be enough to go around.  Maybe he's already declared bankruptcy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Does anyone actually believe that the housekeeper tripped and fell on her own?  I sure don't.

No, because that was actually debunked by Alex himself when he admitted he made up the story about the dogs causing the fall to be sure the insurance company would pay for the accident. 

Alex was at work when his wife, Maggie, called to tell him Gloria had fallen.

@MakeUpMaidn From what I understand, Alex didn't have an insurance policy on Gloria per se. Her death was covered by Alex's  commercial policy. 

Trusted Contributor

What a worthless excuse for a human being...a real wolf in sheep's clothing. Listening to him testify in his murder trial just about sent me over the edge. 😩  

Respected Contributor

Hi @SusieQ_2   Woman Happy

OHH .. Thank you for corrected info.  Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr   I believe ALL HIS $$$ will be spent on his legal defense for his numerous cases.

It's a GIVEN that he will spend the rest of his life in prison.  That's simply a FACT.    Regardless of even POSSIBLE reversals of some of his convictions by the appeals court and new trials offered, the cases are too disparate and complicated to think that ALL OF HIS CHARGES would be overturned!

I recall seeing a reality crime show, or 2 (dateline, 20 among them) that showed IN DETAIL the harm done to the Satterfield family by denying them the settlement amount that Alex stole.  Among the Satterfield children was a particularly sympathetic special-needs son whom I recall.  The family continues to face serious financial stress and deprivation due to never receiving the $$ they were awarded.

How about Alex paying at least THEM the full amount due IN CASH (as he stole the insurance payout) before he squanders all his $$$ on lawyers fees for defenses that have little or no chance of succeeding????

Valued Contributor

Greed, lust, power, control. Completely destroyed a family plus.A stark reminder of how fragile life is. Selling yourself to evil.