Trusted Contributor

Mr. Clean’s New “Clean Freak” Product

[ Edited ]

I’ve been seeing TV ads for this product and it finally got to my local supermarket cleaning supplies shelf.

It comes in two scents: citrus and “Gain” scent. It’s sold in a 16oz plastic bottle with an unusual spray cap. It does not spray a stream or a squirt, but more of a fine mist. Once you pump enough to start the spray, if you just hold the trigger squeezed, the mist continues to spray without pumping the trigger further. When you release the trigger, the mist ceases. Less tiring and easier if you’re trying to cover a surface like a sink or tub. It also will spray in short squeezed bursts,  if you choose. Also, it works at any angle, including upside down, unlike any other sprayer.

The label says it’s safe on every material but copper, brass, or untreated wood.

I’d say it’s a direct competitor to Fantastic or Formula 409 and similar surface cleaners that cut grease, wipe clean without rinsing, and smell good. I use various formulations of Fantastic (“heavy duty”, or with bleach, etc) so Clean Freak seemed superfluous, but I bought a bottle to try it.

I used Clean Freak and a sponge to clean up spatter on my stove top on the porcelain area next to the burners and to wipe down sticky burner knobs. It did a great job with a very bitsy bit of spray.  It’s not as wet and drippy as Fantastic because of the fine mist in the unique spray head.  And the light mist that lands on a surface is enough to do the job against any ick, so it’s thrifty to use. As far as reliable performance, it’s still pretty much Fantastic in a different container. The Gain scent is really nice.

I got into Clean Freak mode, so I also “misted” a couple of the white painted kitchen cabinet faces and easily removed a swath of kitchen stickiness that I generally ignore because I’m a lazy slob. So gratifying to remove smudges and fingerprints and  The Unknown from doors and drawer faces. Worked on the glass fridge shelves extremely well with no streaking or filmy residue, so it’s good on glass.

Whatever you’re using to spray and wipe surfaces, this may not be gigantically better doing the job, so you don’t have to replace it, of course. But if you want to try it, it’s worth the purchase. It’s a versatile cleaning product, the spray packaging is interesting and the mist and easy sprayer feature (non aerosol, but can continuous spray) are selling points.  I bought  it in a 16 oz bottle for about $3.69, so it’s not any bargain, but it was worth the money for my curiosity to be satisfied.

I don’t live with anyone, so I own any mess created around here. Sometimes a new product can stimulate the urge to get busy on cleaning tedium that’s being put off too long.

This review is neither a rave or a thumbs down. It’s new and I tried it and I’d buy it again to keep using it. But not until I use up this bottle plus my Fantastic inventory!

(Do I need to post a photo of the bottle, folks?)

Honored Contributor

Re: Mr. Clean’s New “Clean Freak” Product

@gizmogal   Thanks for the review!  I was thinking of giving it a try when I saw the ads...The Mr Clean Magic Eraser does a great job it's nice to know that this does too!

Contributor

I bought Mr. Clean's new product recently and it did a wonderful job on my stainless steel appliances. They are sparkly clean. It worked better than anything else I used on my stainless steel, even better than products meant for cleaning stainless steel. If I only use it for that one reason it's worth it. I did also use it to clean my bathroom and it work great there too. Two thumbs up from me!!

Respected Contributor

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sheets are great, too. Bought them last week. Good for tight places. Thanks for the tip on the new cleaner product as I've been thinking of trying it.

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal 

Does it say that you can use this on food surfaces like kitchen counter tops without rinsing?  I’ve found that a lot of the “no rinse” cleaning products still specify that you must rinse food surfaces after using. I’m currently using Trader Joe’s Multipurpose spray cleaner on my counters because I can just spray and wipe (and I like the cedar wood scent) - but I’m always open to a new cleaning product. Thanks for the review. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sheets are great, too. Bought them last week. Good for tight places. Thanks for the tip on the new cleaner product as I've been thinking of trying it.

Oh yes, indeed. I’m a big fan of the Magic Eraser and I’m seeing the promos for the new sheets on TV. My store hasn’t put those sheets in stock yet, but I’m on the lookout for them daily. I’ll buy to try. 

Maybe I’ll become a dedicated full product line Mr. Clean user. Would that change me from lazy slob to Mrs. Clean, I wonder...

Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@gizmogal 

Does it say that you can use this on food surfaces like kitchen counter tops without rinsing?  I’ve found that a lot of the “no rinse” cleaning products still specify that you must rinse food surfaces after using. I’m currently using Trader Joe’s Multipurpose spray cleaner on my counters because I can just spray and wipe (and I like the cedar wood scent) - but I’m always open to a new cleaning product. Thanks for the review. 

Yes, it specifically states if the surface will be in contact with food, it must be rinsed. I guess that would be a cutting board or if you put food directly on a counter top. 

I did not mean to mislead and I should have been explicit about that requirement in my review. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is a good new product. Works very well in the kitchen removing grease. 

Still prefer Soft Scrub with bleach on my white fiberglass shower, but Clean Freak works very well on most everything else.

Full disclosure: I originally bought it because I love the name of the product!

Esteemed Contributor

I love Clean Freak.  DD and I were just using it on the kitchen floor.  It's viynl and mostly white ( what was I thinking) and the high traffic areas get dingy more so than the rest of the floor. the viynl is not totally smooth and the slight texture is a pill to clean.

A couple sprays, let it set for a few minutes and mop it up.

Another get thing is the Rubbermaid Reveal spin brush.  Like a an electric toothbrush.  You can clean without you doing the scrubbing, just let the spinning do the job.  It comes with a small brush too.  DD got it at Target.  $19.95.  Worth the price.  Works great on the floor near baseboards if mop doesn't get close enough. 

Since I'm not someone who loves to clean (some people do) anything that makes it easier, I'm in.

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@gizmogal 

Yes, it specifically states if the surface will be in contact with food, it must be rinsed. I guess that would be a cutting board or if you put food directly on a counter top. 

I did not mean to mislead and I should have been explicit about that requirement in my review. 

@gizmogal 

You were not misleading at all. Most of the spray household cleaners have the same warning in small print on the back of the bottle, even if it says no-rinse on the front.  I’ll still probably try Clean Freak for other cleaning needs. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett