Valued Contributor

We have been very happy using moving pods.  You pack it up, they pick it up and deliver it to your new home.  You unpack it and they come pick up the empty container.

Respected Contributor

When my daughter moved from DC to Minnesota she used a moving pod too. It worked well. 

Respected Contributor

Having recently moved locally, I can't imagine the challenge of moving a household long distance.  I never thought about the moving pod idea.  If you decide to go that route and need help with loading/unloading, most local movers offer that service as well. 

Frequent Contributor

I also recommend Moving Pods! I did alot of research on them and was quite impressed, so I told a friend of mine that was moving about them, she is a single woman and didnt have alot of money. Her move was very smooth, and once she got to her new place and the Pod was delivered, she hired a few local men to help her unload the heavy things!

Esteemed Contributor

Check with your BBB. You'll be working with someone from the FL end and need to begin there. Get two or three estimates. You will be placed in a truck with other families headed in the same direction (since you don't have a lot of furniture or appliances or heavy equipment). This is not a big deal; movers do it all of the time. Plus, it gives you additional time to drive to Nebraska at a more leisurely pace!

We have used United Van Lines and Allied for our many moves throughout various states. Have never had anything lost or broken. Scheduling was always right on time and movers were efficent and courteous.

I always stayed behind to sell our homes and line up the movers myself. If you are organized, it's easy. Then, I'd load up our very young son, the cat, our important documents, my jewelry, the houseplants and we would drive to the next location! My husband would already be working and meeting the movers in our next home (which we had purchased when my husband and I visited the community to see if he was interested in taking the transfer).  

You need your utilities turned on before you arrive in Nebraska. Do that via phone. If possible, have PCP, DDS, pharmacy, etc., lined up in the event of an emergency.

PS: I checked Angie's List for a recommendation a few weeks ago. Was disappointed with the results received. I'm in Nebraska, but the referrals received were from Ohio and Iowa! Was not impressed at all. Then, Angie's List kept calling me and asking how I liked their service!!  Seemed like a nuisance service to me. Won't be trying that again.

Best wishes on your move and safe travels from FL to NEBR! Hope you enjoy our lovely state. Smiley Very Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

sure hope you find a good moving company. 

My husband job when we 1st married moved us many different cities (military). We were given many companies over 20 yrs of moving.

Not even sure what companies are still in existence yet.

I had Mayflower, they were good.  Andrews Van lines they were excellent. United wasn’t bad. Those are the few I can remember all these years later.

Honored Contributor

I'd Google  "cross country moving companies".

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop 

Movers are at the top of the SCAM list - so be careful who u hire. Check out YELP -- read reviews and also email the people who give their movers good reviews. Ask lots of questions.

Check out nextdoor dot com (my go-to site for referrals). Ask for recommendations for movers from Florida to another state. When people respond - u could private message them with questions.

ALWAYS call several moving companies on the phone and have their reps. go to ur home and view all the things u will be moving. He/she needs to write an itemized list of all ur belongings being moved - and most important - write "Price Not to Exceed $________". Otherwise, they'll mysteriously charge u a lot more once the truck arrives in Nebraska. If u don't agree to pay - they'll drive off with ur stuff.

Also google the names of all the moving companies ur interested in contacting - to see if there are complaints against them.

I know there's a governmental agency in charge of movers --- u could also contact them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Moving Companies?

[ Edited ]

We moved from PA to NM last summer. We chose our local affliate for Allied Van Lines to do our move.   From start to finish they were 5 star.   So professional, so helpful and to this day I can't find one fault with anyone we dealt with from start to finish.

They loaded up our house (we had done most of the packing) and stored it in their facility in DE.   3 months later we told them we were ready for it to head to NM. We had to delay the arrival by about 9 days at the last minute and they happily accommodated that.  Our stuff came to Alb. and then their affiliate there brought it to Santa Fe.  They too were excellent.

I told a friend all of this when she was looking for movers from Santa fe to Tuscon.  They came to her house for the estimate but were so much higher that she chose another company.   

Honestly, after they came to us and explained everything they were going to do and how, we thought the price was fine and didn't even compare with any other companies.  Could we have done the move cheaper with another company?   Maybe.  But I'd read so many horror stories online that we just said yes to them and have never regretted it.

I do think the local affiliates of any van line can vary.   But we feel we hit the jackpot with our local Allied company.

Good luck with your move.  Oh , our final cost was less than the estimate too due to the weight being less than estimated.