Respected Contributor

I am moving from Florida to Nebr in 2 months.  I did a search on the forums for the latest post regarding moving companies & haven’t seen info since 2017.  Any suggestions on an ethical moving company(s) that could be recommended?  I am packing everything myself except the electronics & large furniture; I have 2 bedrooms, living room furniture & will not be moving any appliances.  TIA!!

Honored Contributor

All I can tell you is that when my daughter moved from NJ to MD and then back to NJ 2 years later, it was done on the moving companies schedule - not hers.

It was one of the national companies that she used.

Honored Contributor

I think one of my neighbors used Von Paris. 

Valued Contributor

Look at the reviews of your local companies.  

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop United Van Lines moved me from Chicago to New Jersey and then five years later they moved me back from New Jersey to Chicago. They packed my boxes well, labeled them, came on schedule and nothing was lost or broken. Very good service! This was several years ago so hopefully things are still going well with United Van Lines.

To be safe, I loaded up my car with my files, jewelry, photo albums and other personal items of value and drove those items to my destination.

It would be good to get written quotes from a few companies and ask a lot of questions at that time. Get anything in writing on your contract that you are concerned about. Good luck interviewing the companies and good luck with your move!

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop---my suggestion is to go to Angies List or any of the many other websites that screen their people. I am just moving a 3 bedroom house to a rental for 4 months and then back to my house, after repair work is done. Got many hits and a few even emailed and called me too. 

Honored Contributor

We've used Two Men and a Truck to move locally.  I know a few people who have used them too.  They are very professional and did a great job.

I don't know if they're available in your area though. 

Honored Contributor

On my last move, I used Bekins Moving and they did a terrific job.  The actual cost was less than their estimate as I elected to get rid of a heavy china cabinet and an old sofa rather than move them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor
Be sure to really check whomever you hire. I was on federal jury duty on a case involving a “shipper” that defrauded customers. The common thing was he quoted a price, then it was thousands more when it was to be delivered. The other thing he did was only take money orders mailed for payment-hence the federal charges of mail fraud.
Honored Contributor

My neighbor moved from Ohio to Virginia, she interviewed several moving companies, they came to her home and gave an estimate.  The only issue she had was when her belongings would arrive at her new home.

Since she did not have a full truck/semi load to move --her things were added with another customer onto the truck....going that direction.  Her move went very smooth.

Price was dependent on the quantity of belongings and if she did a lot of the packing herself, which she did.