Honored Contributor

Move to This State and Improve Your Financial Health

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2015/07/29/states-best-health-personal-finance/

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-debt-habits-2015/

If you're looking to improve the health of your finances, try moving to North Dakota. Or at least avoid Georgia.

Three North Dakota cities made it into the top five slots in NerdWallet's rankingsof cities based on the financial health of residents, which was released today.

By contrast, three Georgia cities were ranked in the bottom five out of 265 cities analyzed.

Based on data from credit bureau Experian and the U.S. Census Bureau, NerdWallet's rankings reflect residents':

• Debt (as measured by average consumer debt as a percentage of per capita income; average credit card debt; and percentage of homes with a second mortgage, home equity loan or both) -- 50 percent of the score

• Financial management (average number of credit cards; average credit score) -- 30 percent

• Spending (percentage of household income spent on housing and related costs by homeowners) -- 20 percent

Midwestern cities in general fared well, "likely due to strong economies paired with lower costs of living," NerdWallet reports.

The relatively low rankings of Southern cities -- they comprise a large percentage of the bottom 20 -- is perhaps less easily explained. Rod Griffin, Experian's director of public education, tells NerdWallet:

"Unfortunately Southern cities tend to have lower [credit] scores than Northern cities, particularly the Midwest."

The 10 cities whose residents' finances are in the best shape are:

• Dickinson, North Dakota

• Bismarck, North Dakota

• Sioux City, Iowa

• Minot, North Dakota

• Moline, Illinois

• Helena, Montana

• Appleton, Wisconsin

• Bloomington, Illinois

• Rochester, Minnesota

• Richland, Washington 

Residents' finances are in the worst shape in:

• Columbia, South Carolina

• Fresno, California

• Greenville, North Carolina

• Tallahassee, Florida

• Norfolk, Virginia

• Macon, Georgia

• Savannah, Georgia

• San Bernardino, California

• Albany, Georgia

• Riverside, California

The average American carries more than $26,000 in nonmortgage debt, including about $3,800 in credit card debt, according to Experian.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Move to This State and Improve Your Financial Health

I believe it's due to the oil industry and others there that are extracting resources out of the land.  Sure, jobs are created but the environment is compromised. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I could handle Richland, WA.  It's a part of the Tri-Cities that border the Columbia River.  

North Dakota has some gorgeous scenery and lots of not so gorgeous.  Way too cold for me.  

Trusted Contributor

In ARIZONA  gas is under $3.00 and milk $1.99, Oh,wait!  The rest of the food is $$$, meat is awful, produce never seems just right, summer electric is $$$.  OH WELL, NEVERMIND.

Esteemed Contributor

I doubt most people would want to move to North Dakota. It gets very cold there.

Esteemed Contributor

Sioux City Iowa?  Pulleessseee.  I've been there more times than I wanted to for hockey and saw nothing that would have me moving there from good my good ole Corn State.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

In ARIZONA  gas is under $3.00 and milk $1.99, Oh,wait!  The rest of the food is $$$, meat is awful, produce never seems just right, summer electric is $$$.  OH WELL, NEVERMIND.

My Maricopa County property tax is 1/10th of what it would be elsewhere

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@tedEbear wrote:

My Maricopa County property tax is 1/10th of what it would be elsewhere

Yeah, but don't you have to put up with Joe Arpio?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Don't have to "put up with Joe Arpio"?  He is exactly what I wish more would follow. Too many "yes men" and not near enough "MEN" that do what they say, not like others that tell you what you want to hear and then do squat.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I agree John. Joe would be the only reason to move there.