Respected Contributor

Re: Most unusual food you've ever eaten?

@Zita wrote:

Collard greens. Slimey!

Yes they are.

Valued Contributor

IMG_1154.PNG

Bubble tea is a Taiwanese tea-based drink invented in Taichung in the 1980s. Most bubble tea recipes contain a tea base mixed/shaken with fruit or milk, to which chewy tapioca balls and fruit jelly are often added.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Valued Contributor

@cerb wrote:

Seasoned roasted blend of insects.

We have a family friend in Iowa who raises crickets commercially to be turned into flour for many protein bars and supplements. Betcha didn't know you might be eating crickets in your food already!

Esteemed Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Stray wrote:

Raw horse meat in Italy....

@Stray

Whoa, Nellie!

@just bee- I know....it was a bad experience 

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Stray wrote:

Raw horse meat in Italy....

I would starve to death first........

@KingstonsMom- I didn't enjoy it and never had it again...I wasn't hungry just being polite...

Respected Contributor

Ok I thought of one kinda weird thing. Cactus candy. It was like Chuckles candy (are this regional or do you know what I mean?)  - only made from cactus. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have eaten my fair share of raw meats and fish and unusual vegetables and fruits, many that have been mentioned, but there are even more.  

The most unusual food I have ever eaten was a fish in Vietnam Nam that is poisonous  to humans and causes death.  If can be prepared by a skilled chef who removes the poison before he cooks it.  This is a skilled that takes years to learn and must be done 100% right.  The restaurant is famous for this fish no even the locals go there to eat.  I can't remember the name of the fish or the village where am ate it.

I do remember that their were aquariums with the fish swimming in it at the restaurant..  They were about the size of a dinner plate and as flat as one too.

@Carmie- I think that might be the same fish I've seen in Japanese restaurants....it's still breathing on the plate and must be eaten at exactly the correct moment....when Masa opened in NYC, I think it was served to then Mayor Bloomberg and he passed on the meal....

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

PIckled pig's feet. My dad loved them and ate them frequently. I tried them when I was in grade school and never since.

@pattypeep- I do love them and so did my Dad...

Honored Contributor

Back when I ate meat - buffalo, squid, muskrat, squirrel, and some things in India I don't want to know about.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

IMG_1154.PNG

Bubble tea is a Taiwanese tea-based drink invented in Taichung in the 1980s. Most bubble tea recipes contain a tea base mixed/shaken with fruit or milk, to which chewy tapioca balls and fruit jelly are often added.

@rrpell- it's very popular in NYC and my neck of the woods....in NJ...our neighboring Town has a high Korean population but the tea is popular there as well.  It is delicious